Buying a used Fortrex 36V, can I run it off of 24V without hurting the motor?

Hi oh great Minn Kota gurus. I'm purchasing a gently used Minn Kota Fortrex 36V US2 this week. My boat is currently set up 24V, running Maxxum 70. Can I run the Fortrex 36V with 24V set up until I get my 3rd battery installed in the series? Any long-term harm if I do this? Or, should I be patient and just install the 3rd battery and wiring? thanks!!!

This question has been asked now and then and John Jones response is that, yes it can damage the motor.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    It can be done but it will damage the motor. Therefore I don't recommend it. I have seen this done on several occasions and it gets the same result. It won't do it right away, but it will eventually.

Get the 3rd battery.

5. Member
    Thanks to everyone for the quick answers, very helpful! Looks like I'm installing the 3rd battery before I can fish again. Nothing like a little motivation.....

6. Member
    As mentioned, it will damage long term. I believe it has to do with heat build up. Smart move to get that extra battery
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S