Thread: skeg shield ?

skeg shield ?

250 pro xs 4 stroke sn 2b745842 question does anyone have knowledge on stainless steel skeg protectors as far as recommendations on brand and if it causes any loss of performance in speed or handling. i broke a small piece off my skeg i cut it straight and clean and filed it down but now thinking about adding the skeg protector. any input would be helpful. thanks

2. Member
    I installed a Skeggard seven years ago and have had no issues or noticed any performance changes. I selected one that has a small flat section on the bottom, which I've scrapped a few times with no damage. not sure if it would matter but I do have a smaller motor, 115 efi four stroke.

<Edit- See Announcements>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-23-2020 at 09:52 AM.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You do not want to install any type of device on the skeg of your G3-Torquemaster gearcase. That skeg has a cast-in torque tab, and modifying it in any way is potentially dangerous (as well as a listed EXCLUSION in the Warranty guidelines).

Any indication of impact (whatsoever) will result in denial of gearcase warranty claims in the future. Thus, you WILL want to get with your local dealer, have it inspected and have an estimate written to REPLACE the housing or the entire gearcase, per Warranty Standards. File an Insurance Claim at that point (do NOT rely on an insurance company to write the estimate of the damage).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for your answer I will follow your advise

5. Dogfish_Jones
    I chipped mine and what I did was grind it back down smooth and repainted that part of the skeg the same factory color.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You do not want to install any type of device on the skeg of your G3-Torquemaster gearcase. That skeg has a cast-in torque tab, and modifying it in any way is potentially dangerous (as well as a listed EXCLUSION in the Warranty guidelines).

Any indication of impact (whatsoever) will result in denial of gearcase warranty claims in the future. Thus, you WILL want to get with your local dealer, have it inspected and have an estimate written to REPLACE the housing or the entire gearcase, per Warranty Standards. File an Insurance Claim at that point (do NOT rely on an insurance company to write the estimate of the damage).

are there even any lower units available for his motor?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes... though they're sometimes on backorder until the next production batch runs.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor