Shimao Bantam reels

Any reviews on the Bantam MGL casting reels?

2. Member
    One of the most solid reels ever. Its on the heavier side, but smooth as ever. The brakes can be a bit touchy, It takes a lot of configurations to pair it up with light rods these days. Been once you find one, it'll never realize how heavy the reel is.

From my experience, i had it on a Dobyns HP DX744c and it was nice. Sold that rod and now I have it paired with a Megabass Destroyer Otomat. Love it.
    Last edited by joexiong; 09-22-2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spell check
    50th Anniversary
    1998 Skeeter Zx195C
    200 V MAX

3. Moderator
    Thanks for the review.

4. Member
    I picked one up at a dealer event and quickly put it down because I was scared I'd buy 20 of them. It's very solid, smooth, and comfortable... surprisingly more comfortable in my hands than the Chronarch or Metanium. Only downside is line capacity.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

5. Member
    I only have one but buying the one makes me want to buy more. I have K’s and E’s mostly. Doesn’t win casting distance for me but makes up for it with the build quality and smoothness. Wish it was a 200 size reel

6. Member
    I love the review on TW that says "it's like the Calcutta and Metanium had a baby" because that basically sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    Any reviews on the Bantam MGL casting reels?
    I have 6 of them. Coming from a guy who has tried almost every reel shimano has kicked out, it’s the best yet. Tad on the heavier side but once you get used to it everything else is subpar. I pair mine with nrx with the exception of one cranking rod. Without a doubt I’ll be buying more.

8. Moderator
    Thanks for the reel reviews. Nothing better than honest reports on a reel.

9. Member
    Paul,you getting a new arsenal?
    Red Sox in 6!

10. Member
    I have several of them, purchased them when they first came out and they are super nice reels. They are quit a bit nicer than the next step down on the chronarchs, which I have several of them as well but hardly ever use them because I prefer the bantams that much more. Makes me wish I would of bought more bantams and not any chronarchs. I want to try the new metaniums but am afraid I will be disappointed I didn’t buy more bantams instead.

11. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Paul,you getting a new arsenal?
    Just looking for a couple of reels and trying to decide on what to get.

12. Banned
    I have a little bit of experience with Shimano reels. I have 6 Bantams, 2 2020 Mets, 2 Chronarch MGLs, 2 Scorpion MGL's, 2 Scorpion 70's, Aldebaran 50, Chronarch ci4, Chronarch 50e, Chronarch 200e, Chronarch 50mg, Core 100mg, Casitas 150, and a Curado 70.

I would only put the Bantam only behind the 2020 Metanium

Love the Bantam reels, defiantly one my favorites.

Powerful, smooth, casts excellent and compact is how I would describe the Bantam.

14. Member
    I have one I use for squarebills. It is so solid and consistent you forget you are using it, which is the best compliment I can give a reel!

15. Member
    Solid, smooth, great in hand, side plate is a PITA.
    Heavy? I have 12+ other casting reels and don't even notice the weight difference.
    ​WHY ASK WHY?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsoonerfan View Post
    I have a little bit of experience with Shimano reels. I have 6 Bantams, 2 2020 Mets, 2 Chronarch MGLs, 2 Scorpion MGL's, 2 Scorpion 70's, Aldebaran 50, Chronarch ci4, Chronarch 50e, Chronarch 200e, Chronarch 50mg, Core 100mg, Casitas 150, and a Curado 70.

I would only put the Bantam only behind the 2020 Metanium
    Agree 100% i put it just behind the antares 70, 20 metainum and steez sv tw. The bantam is just as smooth as those higher end reels. Imo the bantam is better than the 16 metainum mgl
    Last edited by bronzebacks; 10-06-2020 at 12:34 PM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotmy5 View Post
    I have several of them, purchased them when they first came out and they are super nice reels. They are quit a bit nicer than the next step down on the chronarchs, which I have several of them as well but hardly ever use them because I prefer the bantams that much more. Makes me wish I would of bought more bantams and not any chronarchs. I want to try the new metaniums but am afraid I will be disappointed I didn’t buy more bantams instead.
    If you like the bantam you will love the 20 metainum