Removing lift assist on Terrova 24v 80lb.

Just seeing if anyone has removed the lift assist on there terrova. Mine has broken the spring twice in less than a year and it leaves me disabled on the water every time it does. I would like to just remove it and be done with it.

I would, it can be done.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Is it breaking or just coming loose from the shaft just above the the motor. I have never heard of the lift assist itself break.

4. Member
    the spring keeps getting pinched and then breaking.

5. Member
    Do you have any ideas of how difficult it is to remove or if I need to do any retrofitting to make it work once its removed?

Quote Originally Posted by BigStickFishing View Post
    Do you have any ideas of how difficult it is to remove or if I need to do any retrofitting to make it work once its removed?
    Couple things you can do: Remove the screw (located just above the motor in the plastic cover/housing) that holds the spring strap. Let the strap recoil into the upper lift assist housing. It will now move freely up and down the shaft. Of course no lift assist, tougher to pull the motor back up and will want to deploy very easy. Lift assist housing has to stay on the shaft, otherwise it will not lock into the transmission for turning. You could also remove the same bolt and the bottom and the bolts out of the lift assist housing and remove the spring strap out of the housing, but still need the lift assist housing to stay on the shaft so the little lever will lock into the transmission. Hope this helps.
    Hire Lures BuzzWalker quick-clip on topwater blades
    2019 Nitro Z19 200 Pro XS 4S V-T2 Live well vents

7. Member
    You cannot totally remove the lift assist, because it is part of the steering system. Why not just bring to ASC to replace. Warranty? If you disable it the troll motor will be more difficult to store and deploy.

8. Member
    Thank you for all the responses. I am going to get it fixed since its still under warranty and just not hook up the spring then if I ever want to go back to it then I can just hook it up.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStickFishing View Post
    Thank you for all the responses. I am going to get it fixed since its still under warranty and just not hook up the spring then if I ever want to go back to it then I can just hook it up.
    Not that simple. You will never get it back unless you take the necessary steps to prevent it from unwinding completely. Another words you have to have worked on them to know what to do. I will not go into the details, because Minn Kota does not recommend it.

10. Member
    Thank you for the help bradrodfish. I appreciate your honesty and input.

11. Member

12. Member
    Not meaning to hijack but my lift assist collar broke and the spring went all the way up in to spring housing. I have a new collar , Spring assy and the tool to install the spring into the collar. From what i understand i will need to take the TM control head off to get the old one off and put the new one on. The TM is out of warranty so i am going to do this myself. Is there any unexpected issues that i will encounter?

Once again sorry to hijack

13. Member
    Did you get the new collar to go with the life assist. New collar has a screw with self locking nut to hold the spring onto the collar half. When I replace the lift assist I use a vise grip with either tape or a towel wrapped around the spring after it is feed through the steering housing. I have fumble ittis so I do it because of that. Other than that it is straightforward. Yes you have to remove the head. Just make sure when you put the head back on you don't skin the wires with the screw.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Did you get the new collar to go with the life assist. New collar has a screw with self locking nut to hold the spring onto the collar half. When I replace the lift assist I use a vise grip with either tape or a towel wrapped around the spring after it is feed through the steering housing. I have fumble ittis so I do it because of that. Other than that it is straightforward. Yes you have to remove the head. Just make sure when you put the head back on you don't skin the wires with the screw.
    Yes it has the self locking nut on it. Everything is brand new so i got the latest collar with the nut along with a brand new spring assy. Thanks for the instructions . I will use the vice grip method so i won't mess up. I will be careful not to hurt any wires. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Keith

15. Member
    I just did mine. Bought new depth collar and liner dive collar from Northland Marine. Take head off slide shaft out of steering housing and open steering housing and replace drive collar and depth collar. The 2 parts and shipping was 25 bucks. Not a hard job.

16. Member
    swampseed this is perfect information thank you very much.

17. Member
    I dont understand how a broken spring will make the trolling motor useless..?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketbilly View Post
    I dont understand how a broken spring will make the trolling motor useless..?
    The trolling motor runs great. I have a big nauticstar bay boat and a heavy 36 volt 112 lb motor on a 72 inch shaft. Lots of mid lake big wave fishing and the assist makes it a little safer when pulling the trolling motor in big wind. Also we have been catching striper up shallow and i didn't have the depth collar up enough in the big waves and the blade got into the mud and snapped the blade. It was blowing about 20mph. I think the lift assist would have let the motor come up instead of staying down in the mud to break the blade

19. Member
    I got my new lift assist installed with the new collar. It was pretty straight forward and not a problem. Here is a picture of the old collar you can see there was not much plastic to be sturdy
    Thanks you every6one for the help.
    IMG_0850.JPGIMG_0849.JPGIMG_0851.JPG

20. Member
    So, the motor will not steer correctly if the entire lift assembly was taken off?