Garmin Force v Ultrex review

I’ve had been running an Ultrex for just over a year. My new Vexus has a Garmin Force!

I had zero issues with the Ultrex. It’s easy to operate and got the job done. It’s a little rough compared to the Force . If I had not bought a new boat I would have stayed with the Ultrex.

The Garmin Force does everything the Ultrex does but better, mostly!
    What do I mean by that is this; Brushless motor and it’s smooth. Built in 54 UHD! The Force is almost silent while running. Much more battery efficient as well. A 3 year old could deploy and stow it. It’s light and easy. Wireless foot pedal is a plus and eliminates that cable. I can use my 93 UHD to control the Force and go to Way points.

The Ultrex updates very easy. Turn on the remote. If an update is available the remote will Prompt you. Simple. Press the button and it does the update.

Garmin requires active captain. PITA! This is area were Garmin can improve. Why do we need to create a name and a password on the remote. Then pair it to my phone so that I can down load an update on AC to upload to the trolling motor Whew! Waaay to complicated.
    In this day and age the Garmin units should have a prompt when near a WFI scource like your house. The Garmin units should connect to WFI just like my phone and lap top do. Easy!

Bottom line is after getting the Garmin Force dialed in it’s a nice upgrade.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

2. Banned
    actually in this day and age you shouldn need any wifi garbage just to run a trolling motor.
    Wait till your foot pedal decides to come unpaired, and your fishing day gets ruined because you are on a lake without internet.
    I like the power and efficiency of the Garmin motor and the anchor lock , the rest of it is grossly over complicated. Shoulda just gone with a bigger fortrex and power poles if I could do it over again. If MK comes out with a better motor, I probably will.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    actually in this day and age you shouldn need any wifi garbage just to run a trolling motor.
    Wait till your foot pedal decides to come unpaired, and your fishing day gets ruined because you are on a lake without internet.
    I like the power and efficiency of the Garmin motor and the anchor lock , the rest of it is grossly over complicated. Shoulda just gone with a bigger fortrex and power poles if I could do it over again. If MK comes out with a better motor, I probably will.
    Funny you mentioned the foot pedal! I had reset the defaults on the trolling motor during my frustration to get the AC paired up. I knew i would need to recalibrate the bow offset and compass but gave no thought to the foot pedal. To make a long story short. I’m on the lake at 6 am in the dark. Put the force in the water only to realize the freaking foot pedal doesn’t work! Used my phone flash light and a screw driver to get my pedal off to disconnect the power cable! Jeez! Why in the heck should the foot pedal ever not pair automatically! Come on Garmin! God forbid you sell your boat. The new owner would need the User name and Password. Not to mention the TM is tied to your AC account! Big mess here!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,