Thread: Choosing a Cat

Choosing a Cat

Looking for a Puma or Cougar in the 20-30k range. Just looking for something in real good condition and a good value for the money. Is there a noticeable difference in the FTD models? Is there a certain year where the layout became a lot more “fishable” or the boat was just “better”? Can I get a console to make a single console a dual console if I find a boat I really like? TIA, Scott
    520VX 225 HPDI

You can add a console.

3. Member
    The only difference of the Puma & Cougar boats is the layout of the deck compartments. The Puma has a little more fiberglass in the way the compartments were designed in the mid to late '00s, so it will weigh a little more - but still w/in the margin of error (IMO).

This one should be in your range, and I believe is pretty close to you: https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...erc-250-proxs/

4. Member
    I would be partial to the Cougar FTD, this is a great boat

I have a Puma and love the layout. The net storage is awesome.

some like the cougar better because the deck a little longer. I do not agree. I fish at the nose of the boat. I like the layout of the puma.

coant go wrong with either
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

I much prefer the standard Puma rear deck layout (under seat tank, larger rear compartments) to that of the Puma FTD (front decks are identical). I also LOVE the net storage on front deck of Puma compared to the Cougar.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

7. Member
    When I first starting looking at Basscats (just in passing) I always said to myself that I would could not have a Puma because of the shorter front deck and bigger step. After having my Cougar for a summer now, I am thinking that I would get a Puma if I could order a new one. I am a big guy and the smaller cooler step is harder to step on if not being careful. I would also like to try out the net storage up front. I personally like the under seat storage on my Cougar as well, I just wish it would stay dry.
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

Cougar for me ,didn't care for the Puma layout as much. I like the bigger storage compartments and slightly larger front deck
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

9. Member
    The FTD models have more bells and whistles than the non-premium models. They also include more VE resin in the outer layers, not just the barrier coat. However, it is an option if you want to add the extra VE to a non-premium model. As far as adding a console, the boat must be of the period after BCB started doing the consoles in modular design. I believe that it was somewhere around 2003-2004.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylemoodie View Post
    When I first starting looking at Basscats (just in passing) I always said to myself that I would could not have a Puma because of the shorter front deck and bigger step. After having my Cougar for a summer now, I am thinking that I would get a Puma if I could order a new one. I am a big guy and the smaller cooler step is harder to step on if not being careful. I would also like to try out the net storage up front. I personally like the under seat storage on my Cougar as well, I just wish it would stay dry.
    I love the Puma FTD layout. I first thought I wanted a Cougar for the extra deck space but did not like the small cooler up front. My Puma has plenty of room up front and the forward cooler in the step is HUGE! It will hold a half a case of cans, whole bag of ice and several waters too. I use the console cooler for dry snacks, sandwiches, etc. my front cooler keeps ice really well too nearly a couple days. It gets really hot here in Bama and the cooler was a big deal in my decision! Gotta stay hydrated!
    Last edited by Mikes250r; 09-26-2020 at 11:14 AM.

11. Member
    I love the look of a Cat but I'm just not sure about the foot control being so far to the front. I don't fish any real rough water but do fish a lot of tailrace (tricky water). Is the width of the front deck ok? Thanks to all, Scott
    520VX 225 HPDI

Quote Originally Posted by twohands25 View Post
    I love the look of a Cat but I'm just not sure about the foot control being so far to the front. I don't fish any real rough water but do fish a lot of tailrace (tricky water). Is the width of the front deck ok? Thanks to all, Scott
    There is a carpeted insert that can removed and the stroller pedal can be installed further back.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

After a couple of trips on the front deck you will love the position. If not move the foot control back on the models that have that option. I fish a lot of open water and never have an issue with the seat close to the bow. Makes fishing better too.

14. Member
    If your budget is 20-30k, then with the older Cats you may not have the option of the carpeted insert and foot pedal adjustment. Some find the Cougar and Puma narrow up front. Best to sit, or better yet, fish out of it first if you can.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

width is likely wider than your Bullet. Also the TM forward is advantagous when fishinh shallow and flippin/pitchin/skippin allows you to roll cast and pitch much easier. I have a hard time going back to boats with the TM pedal back further once I got used to my first Cat.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"