Hard shifting after run and dark LU lube

I have a 2012 250 Pro XS serial #1B917625 that has had issues of being difficult to shift out of gear after a long run. I checked the LU lube and it was black although it had been changed 2-3 months ago. I changed the LU lube (Merc High Performance 90w) and after a few trips to the lake it's doing the same thing. I check the LU lube and it's very dark again. There's no glitter or milky look from water present. Running a Trophy 25P on my BassCat Cougar if that makes a difference. Any ideas before I have to take it in to be worked on again? I've had repeated issues with seals on this LU. Thanks for any advice you can share.

2. Member
    Should not have any issues with seal unless it's over filled.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Watching. When I winterized my motor, the lower unit fluid came out dark without any trace of water. It was more blackish than blue/green.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Darkened lube is not uncommon as many of our engines are running quite high (pretty wide temp swings in the gearcase).

Need to check the shift position switch in the shift slide (port side of the engine). It may have grease or debris causing it to "stick" when hot (switch signals when shifting out of gear or into gear, which allows the PCM to "stutter" the engine momentarily to aid in shifting out of gear).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor