Prop Change on a 2020 175TXW Merc 60 hp

Just thought I'd share a success story since usually when I come to a forum, It's looking for help with a problem. Hopefully this helps someone in a similar situation.

Bought the above boat this past June and was thrilled with it. Still am. The plan was usually fishing out of it with one other person or alone for about 60% usage and the other 40% of the time I would be pleasure cruising with 2-3 others or sometimes pulling a tube for my daughter and her friends (early 20's group of folks). The only issue I was having was when tubing with 2-3 people besides me, the rope and drag from the tube was crushing speed down to an unacceptable level in the turns. Below are some stats.

With the Black Max 14p prop that came on it

34.2mph/5500 rpms- Max speed by myself w/ full tank of gas
    32.0mph/5500 rpms- 2 people in the boat w/ full tank
    25.0 mph/5400 rpms- 4 people in the boat w/ full tank
    22.0 mph/5400 rpms- 3 people in the boat and pulling one on a tube.
    15.0 mph when I would go into a tight turn to try to get the tuber outside the boats wake (unsuccessful 90% of the time due to the drop in speed)

I purchased a Booster ball to help with the rope and tube drag and it helped significantly.

27.0 mph/5400rpm- 2 people in the boat and pulling one on the tube with the booster ball.
    Maintained 21-22 in tight turns and had no problem getting folks outside the wake and sending them tumbling if I wanted to.

Changed to a 10.1"/14P Spitfire prop (8M8026635)

Major improvement to holeshot, acceleration and time on plane.
    33.2 mph/5900 rpms- 2 people in the boat w/ full tank

So a +1.2mph increase, a +400RPM increase nearer the top of the suggested 5500-6000 rpm range from mercury.
    I believe she will do 34+mph on glass w/ 2 people and 35-37+mph by myself on perfect water.

I also noticed I could trim up engine up farther than I could previously without it porpoising. Because I can trim up farther, I believe that's why I can get higher in the RPM range. The spray from the boat has moved about 5"-6" farther back than it was previously with the same load (2 guys/fishing gear). So I believe I am getting more hull out of the water and that's what's giving me better speed. No issues with cavitation.

I was willing to sacrifice a little top speed for a better hole shot, quicker acceleration and hopefully more power when pulling a tube but looks like I hit the magic combination for this boat and engine as I didn't give up anything but rather had everything improve.

If you've got this boat/engine combination, Don't let anyone talk you into going down in size in prop pitch to improve the holeshot and acceleration. Believe the marketing hype on the Spitfire prop.

Feel free to msg me if you have this combo and have questions.
    2023 Targa V-19 Combo
    Mercury 200hp XS XL Four stroke
    Garmin Force TM-36v Ionic Lithium Batteries
    Best Speed to date: 51.2mph
    BEST/WORST: Storage / Compartment moisture

2. Member
    Glad it worked out for you, have you tried pulling the tube with your new prop yet? Also do you have any good lakes to fish close to you or are you on the river all the time? I live right close to the Ohio river about 2.5 hours upstream from Cincinnati.

3. Member
    . Haven't yet pulled the tube but feeling pretty good about the changes in numbers and believe the way it hole shots and accelerates that the tube will be strong also. I live on the east side of Cincy. East Fork is the closest lake (about 15 miles). Fish at Caesar's Creek also along with Cave Run (Morehead Ky) and occasionally get down to Green River Lake.
    2023 Targa V-19 Combo
    Mercury 200hp XS XL Four stroke
    Garmin Force TM-36v Ionic Lithium Batteries
    Best Speed to date: 51.2mph
    BEST/WORST: Storage / Compartment moisture

4. Member
    I have been to Cave Run a few times but not in the last 5-6 years, Yatesville is where I usually fish but it has really been pressured this year. I'll have to give the other two you mentioned a try sometime.