Question 2003 cool hub popping out

I had the local Cabela Ranger dealer's shop replace my oil seals about a year ago. I have one wheel where the hub has actually popped out of place twice. Luckily the wheel cover kept it from falling completely out and being lost on the road. I've had this boat since I bought it new in 2003 with nary an issue with the hubs until a seal started leaking. All I have needed to do is replace the oil a few times.

I have knocked the hub back in place with a rubber mallet both times. What might have gone wrong? I didn't fill the oil all the way to the top when putting it back in the last time thinking pressure was pushing it out. But, I see comments and at least one video on google that said to completely fill the hub leaving no air inside so I doubt that is an issue.

Did the shop have to pop the hubs off to do the rear seal job? This same hub has left a bit of oil on the rim below it after sitting for a while. This weekend I removed the wheel cover after seeing a bit of oil on the rim again and I could see the oil had pooled up inside it in one one of the lug cutouts. I could not tell if it came from around the rim/edge of the hub or the fill screw. Keeping an eye on where it is coming from but with the hub having popped off twice, it could be oil was just left over from the last time it popped off and I just missed cleaning it completely up. Meanwhile, I use the mallet and tap the hub a bit just to be sure it isn't working its way out again.

Should I call Ranger and order a new hub and o-rings or is there something else I need to do?

2. Member
    Pretty sure there is an o ring seal inside the end of the hub that the end cap has to fit inside of just right to seal and stay put. If the o ring is damaged or missing it will not stay in there. Could have gotten out of place when it was re installed. They should have put a new one in there, but even a new one can get buggered up. Pretty easy fix.
    And yes they had it off the axel to replace the rear seal. No other way.

It sounds like the Castle Nut it set too loose. Jack the wheel up. Try to move the wheel by grabbing each side and see if it will "Wiggle". Pull the Hub Cover off by tapping it on the sides with a soft mallet. Reset the Castle nut by tightening it down until you can not turn the wheel. Then back off until the wheel rolls freely. Now tighten it back down, then back to free again, then give it a 1/4 turn tight. When you replace the Hub Cap, put a thin coat of RV Silicone around the sides of the cap. When you replace it, there will be a bead of Silicone around the hub, DO NOT TOUCH IT, allow it to dry. It will then create a seal.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    Thanks for the reply EDR. The video I watched showed that o-ring but I didn't know it would help keep it in place. I'll take the hub off and see what I can see. Regardless I'll call Ranger and order that o-ring.

5. Member
    The o ring is the deal. I had a 2004 Ranger that I did a couple times over 14 years.

Quote Originally Posted by rdholland View Post
    I had the local Cabela Ranger dealer's shop replace my oil seals about a year ago. I have one wheel where the hub has actually popped out of place twice. Luckily the wheel cover kept it from falling completely out and being lost on the road. I've had this boat since I bought it new in 2003 with nary an issue with the hubs until a seal started leaking. All I have needed to do is replace the oil a few times.

I have knocked the hub back in place with a rubber mallet both times. What might have gone wrong? I didn't fill the oil all the way to the top when putting it back in the last time thinking pressure was pushing it out. But, I see comments and at least one video on google that said to completely fill the hub leaving no air inside so I doubt that is an issue.

Did the shop have to pop the hubs off to do the rear seal job? This same hub has left a bit of oil on the rim below it after sitting for a while. This weekend I removed the wheel cover after seeing a bit of oil on the rim again and I could see the oil had pooled up inside it in one one of the lug cutouts. I could not tell if it came from around the rim/edge of the hub or the fill screw. Keeping an eye on where it is coming from but with the hub having popped off twice, it could be oil was just left over from the last time it popped off and I just missed cleaning it completely up. Meanwhile, I use the mallet and tap the hub a bit just to be sure it isn't working its way out again.

Should I call Ranger and order a new hub and o-rings or is there something else I need to do?
    By hub, you actually mean the CAP with the sight glass that fits on the end of the hub, right?

If so, you not only need to install that O ring, you need to use some red high temp silicone on the lip of the cap to hold the in place. This is what Sam Wilson from the old Ranger Trailer Dept. recommended to us when we were on a factory tour back then. He also said to put some of the same red high temp silicone on the lip of the rear seal, once you got it started in the hub.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Hi Jeff,
    Yes, that's what I mean. It just manages to pop out by itself. Seems like the o-ring is going to be the issue. Tried to call Ranger parts yesterday. Sat on hold for 30 or more minutes and then they just hung up. I'll get the ring and some silicone on it when putting it back on.

If the cap is unreasonably loose, there's something else you can do. Some folks take pliers and SIGHTLY bend the end of the lip on the cap outwards in a spot or two to give it some "grip" on the inside of the hub opening. Others will take a punch and hammer and try to put a dimple in the outer edge of the cap by striking it with the punch from inside the lip. If yo choose to try this, a VERY slight outward mending of the lip or dimpling of the lip is all you need to give the cap a little more grip to help keep it in place, along with the red high temp silicone.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Wheerre does that o-ring go exactly.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    Wheerre does that o-ring go exactly.
    Around the lip of the cap.

11. Member
    You can also use RTV oil resistant silicone. I lost my o rings years ago and just use the RTV and never have any problems. Run a bead around the oil cap and then use a rubber mallet to tap into place. No leaks and they stay put. Just spin the hub and tap the side as it spins to remove hub cap to change oil.

12. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    You have to have the O ring or some red permatex - both is better. But the O ring is what keeps it sealed. Otherwise you will get water in them.

13. Member
    I’ve never got the o ring to seat properly, and I’ve tried many things. Must be me. When I had a cap keep becoming loose, I ordered a new one, which solved my issue. I would like to gripe about the cool hub system, but I’ve never had a bearing failure in 20 years. I would like to convert to grease though.

14. Member
    O ring goes in groove made for it haha inside end of hub. Have to be careful starting hub cover perfectly straight. Do not put Irving in exterior of cover and try to start it. That positively will not work. Takes some patience to get it right.