Trinity 15 When is Your Soul at Rest?

When is your soul at rest? When the bills are paid, or work is going well, or the test at school went well, or results from the doctor were favorable? ...when you are at peace with family and friends?
    Its easy to find peace when life is going smoothly, no worries for the moment...

Rest is much harder when you're dealing with guilt, worry, neediness, or uncertainty. We go looking for something to relieve our distress. Rest, in the midst of turmoil can only come from hope that things will get better. Sure and certain hope can only come from One who is greater than our troubles.

PSALM 62 A Psalm of David.

1. My soul finds rest in God alone;
    my salvation comes from Him.
    2. He alone is my rock and my
    salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
    9. Lowborn men are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie; if weighed on a
    scale, they are nothing; together they are only a breath.
    10. Do not trust in oppression or take pride in stolen goods; though your
    riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
    11. One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that You, O God, are
    strong,
    12. and that You, O Lord, are loving. Surely You will reward
    each person according to what he has done.

V1&2. The soul of David was not always at rest; Psalm 38: "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?" David (like you and me) made the mistake of looking for comfort, from sinful sources, that look appealing, and are close at hand. But ungodly solutions give only temporary relief (with a high price tag).

Sometimes we misuse substances, relationships, and behaviors, trying to find peace. we get sidetracked. We take our eyes off: The One Thing Needful.

We are like sheep that stray from our Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ. He lived here and knows our troubles. He lived a holy life in our place. He poured out His lifeblood to earn rest for our souls through the forgiveness of every one of our sins. Jesus has done this for you, once for all; the Just for the unjust, to bring you to God. You will find rest for your soul, even in the most severe trials, even covid problems. Remember Daniel's three friends in the fiery furnace. They faced a horrific death, but their souls were at rest. No matter what happened, they were safe in the Savior's arms. They knew He would deliver them. David has that same hope.

V9&10. Do not trust sinful mortal man to comfort your soul. Jesus is the only, rock solid foundation of rest for the believer's soul. By faith, you have absolute certainty that you are accepted by the Heavenly Father. Heaven is yours. God is not angry any longer, because of your sins. All His wrath was poured out on Jesus, in your place. Jesus was forsaken so that you may be accepted, forever.

V11&12. Last line, "rewarded"? The cults tell us this is the teaching of salvation by good works. No. It is not. In light of Scripture, salvation is earned by works--Jesus' works, alone. (Eph 2, Rom 11).
    Christian faith receives forgiveness of sins, leading to salvation, and also producing good works. These works which give thanks to God for His mercy. People with saving faith are the only ones to go to heaven. People with faith are the only ones who do good works (in the sight of God). (Heb 11:6)

Back to 11&12. God is strong and loving--a fail-safe source of rest for your soul. "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest..." Mat 11

excerpts sermon 9/20/20
    Last edited by msethsmile; 09-21-2020 at 06:02 PM.

2. Banned
    Thanks!

3. Member
    Though I agree with the main intent of this thread, I do have some concerns with the explanation of verse 9, Do not trust mortal man to comfort your soul, since as a man Jesus went to Lazarus sisters, Martha and Mary to comfort them during their time of grief for Lazarus' death; as God, He returned Lazarus spirit bringing him back to life, which in no way none of us can do.
    Yet, without any doubt, I know that we as brethren and sisters can give each other much comfort during hardship and turmoil, whether physical or otherwise. We can pray and give hope to each other and many others by sharing our salvation with those that may not have given their hearts and lives to Christ.
    Explanation of verses 11 and 12, the book of James gives us a clear guidance as how we as christians need to approach 'by faith and by works', and he shows it best in the acknowledgement of the destitute person if being given a blessed greeting, yet nothing to help him with his immediate needs in his condition.
    Be well and be safe.

4. Member
    The main point of any miracle (raising Lazarus) was to point to Christ's divinity. That's where our certainty of salvation belongs. Power in the object of our faith. Mary and Martha both confessed Jesus as God before Lazarus' resurrection. Christ simultaneously 100% Man, 100% God. Christ, in His mercy, strengthened M&M's faith--and ours via the account.

As for comfort (spiritually) from man, well enough if he agrees with Scripture, but never as a primary source. Always Scripture first.

Trusting (spiritually) in man in their unbelief---total waste of time.
    Trusting (spiritually) in man in their belief (post conversion) is still iffy--compare their claims with Scripture (Paul and the Bereans). Unfortunately, this side of heaven, even believers are tainted by sin (reason, emotion, traditions).

"It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes." Psalm 118:8-9 (said twice for emphasis)

James 2:26"...faith without works is dead." Faith produces "good works", that is, they go hand-in-hand. BUT, as per Scripture, 'good works' do not produce justification, salvation. GW are evidence of faith. Rom 3. If our GW were part of justification, then grace would not be grace.

To be reliable, our justification/salvation must be perfect--Christ. The blood stained cross and empty tomb. Our 'good works' are still tainted by sin, even when done in faith. "...all our righteous acts are like filthy rags." Isaiah 64:6b GW cannot be produced outside of faith--in the sight of God. Heb 11:6. An unbelieving multi-billionaire gives $1 Billion to a charity. This is a stench in the nostrils of God. The poor widow in Scripture gave, in faith, a mere 'mite', a pleasant aroma to God.

The central/main point of the thread is true rest for the soul is found only in Christ. Application in trusting Christ as revealed in Scripture and not finding rest elsewhere (various abuses to cope).
    Last edited by msethsmile; 09-24-2020 at 10:28 AM.

5. Member
    So that I understand your opinion of this matter, you quote James, yet you followed it up with a BUT statement as per Scripture as if to not include the book of James as part of Scripture.
    If good works do not produce salvation, by what than was Abraham justified before GOD to the point of GOD Himself calling him His friend, and I know you nor I will never possess that honor.

In the good Samaritan, Jesus shows how we need to come to the succors of one another even if the person is perceived as our enemy, and Paul in Romans 12 further explains the matter how we as Christians comfort and support each other during bad and good times, even onto our enemies.
    I do pray that there would be many unbelieving multi billionaires giving at least 1 million to the proper charities that help namy of our brethren and sisters, and perhaps in their prays even those unbelievers their hearts may be soften and believe, which is what GOD showed Isaiah about he stiff necked Israelites.

When Jesus was asked 'What is the greatest commandment by the scribe He said 'Love the Lord your GOD with all thy mind, with all thy soul, with all thy heart, with all thy strength. This is the first and great commandment, and the second like onto it; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."
    Paul reminds us in 1 Corinthians 13 conclusion 'And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
    I do agree with your main point that our salvation can only be found in Christ at the Cross, as He clearly said onto them of weary souls"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls; For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

6. Member
    Abraham was justified before God because he believed, he had faith that God would do what he said he would.

7. Member
    EE--bingo.

Dig--
    Uh, no. "All Scripture is God breathed.." including James. "Scripture cannot be broken", that is, the other Books agree with James and vise versa.
    EE is correct, Abraham was justified on the basis of his faith (trusted God would send a Redeemer someday--Jesus).

Good Samaritan. The point of the parable: Jesus is the Good Samaritan. We're not (perfect and always the GS). When we fall short, flee to the cross. BTW, the very last line of the parable is interesting, consider the immediate audience: expert in the law. Last line, "Go and do likewise." (Luke 10:37b). Its a durative. Translated, "Always continue to do likewise." The expert in the law was told he must be the Good Samaritan 1000 times out of 1000 tries. Uh oh. That's the high bar--we must always be perfect. Christ is purposely, lovingly, pointing the expert down a dead end. The expert (and us) fall short in the good works. He (we) deserve hell. The expert's solution to the dead end of works righteousness stands right in front of him (and us)--Jesus. A solution outside of him (man). Christ binds up your spiritual wounds and gives you shelter. The Great Physician nurses us back to health, "by His wounds we are healed." Is 53.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 09-25-2020 at 09:19 AM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie eye View Post
    Abraham was justified before God because he believed, he had faith that God would do what he said he would.
    "For what saith the Scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness."
    Abraham believed GOD and did the work which GOD directed him to do, even in as much as believing in Him to proceed with the work of taking Isaac life; For he believed that GOD would give him back life even if he had sacrificed him onto GOD.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    EE--bingo.

Dig--
    Uh, no. "All Scripture is God breathed.." including James. "Scripture cannot be broken", that is, the other Books agree with James and vise versa.
    EE is correct, Abraham was justified on the basis of his faith (trusted God would send a Redeemer someday--Jesus).

Good Samaritan. The point of the parable: Jesus is the Good Samaritan. We're not (perfect and always the GS). When we fall short, flee to the cross. BTW, the very last line of the parable is interesting, consider the immediate audience: expert in the law. Last line, "Go and do likewise." (Luke 10:37b). Its a durative. Translated, "Always continue to do likewise." The expert in the law was told he must be the Good Samaritan 1000 times out of 1000 tries. Uh oh. That's the high bar--we must always be perfect. Christ is purposely, lovingly, pointing the expert down a dead end. The expert (and us) fall short in the good works. He (we) deserve hell. The expert's solution to the dead end of works righteousness stands right in front of him (and us)--Jesus. A solution outside of him (man). Christ binds up your spiritual wounds and gives you shelter. The Great Physician nurses us back to health, "by His wounds we are healed." Is 53.
    Jesus gave us the parable of the good samaritan as guidance on how to behave toward one another, and in closing of the parable He instructs us to "Go and do likewise", which clearly states 'go and do what I have shown you in this parable.' One might even dare to say that this parable could be the precursor to 'When Jesus was asked 'What is the greatest commandment by the scribe He said 'Love the Lord your GOD with all thy mind, with all thy soul, with all thy heart, with all thy strength. This is the first and great commandment, and the second like onto it; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."
    Also in John 13: 34-35 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    We as Christians are to comfort and support each other during bad and good times, even onto our enemies; For Jesus himself instructs us to pray for our enemies "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you"
    Galatians 6:10
    As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Be well and be safe
    Last edited by digthemup; 09-25-2020 at 09:54 AM.

10. Member
    Not the main point of the GS. Mark this: No one was ever saved by the Law (something we do). Jesus is the Good Samaritan (Gospel). God's love for us (exhibited in Christ dying for us) is bigger than our sins. Thank God. "Where sin abounds, grace super abounds." Rom 5:20

Abraham's faith and good works go hand in hand (Locomotive/Caboose). But he fell short (works)--multiple lying about his wife/sister (not trusting in God--1st Commandment) for protection. He is held high as "Heroes of the Faith" in Heb 11--even yet, he did not produce good works 100% of the time. He needed a Savior.

Don't forget in Gal 10--that's 100% of the time. Uh oh. The expert in the law in GS parable, "I have kept all these (Commandments) since I was a child." He needed more schooling/humility.

Good works give evidence of faith and they are commanded by God. Very important. But, they cannot save.

The theme of the thread is spiritual rest--only found in the Gospel. Our justification before God is Christ's atoning sacrifice. Rest is never found in the Law--as the expert in the Law hopefully found out.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 09-25-2020 at 04:51 PM.

11. Member
    At any point did I ever say anything about being saved by the law or works only?? NOT ONCE
    Yet, I believe that more than once I gave my opinion on giving our soul or brethrens or sisters during unrest, crisis, death, financial turmoil, etc... hope and support.
    Our spirit will find 'rest' on that day when we will all appear before Christ and on bended knees confess onto the Father, at which time our souls (spirit) will have eternal rest or eternal condemnation.

Therefore, On Christ my Savior I hold on to for He is my intercessor, of whom Job so wished he had during is turmoil instead of his so called 'friend', who instead of hope and comfort berated him with accusations.

In Paul's summation in Romans 13: 9-10 " If there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to thy neighbors"

12. Member
    Stick to the theme of the thread please. Rest for the soul only in the Gospel.

13. Member
    NP.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie eye View Post
    Amen