2020 250R Smokes a Little Sometime

I have a 2020 250R with 26 hours on it. I notice from time to time when I start it up when I'm out fishing, it will puff a little smoke, should I be worried??

found this in another post
    Mercury has recommended an angle with a little positive trim (in the Owner's Manual) for some time, and this is important as it helps to prevent the natural movement of oil through the piston ring gaps (which can cause a short burst of smoke on an initial start).

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Skeeter21i is exactly correct. Tilt the engine up to where the end of the anti-ventilation plate is at the water's surface (at least), and it should reduce this.

Engine oil level is also critical (see FAQ Section for information on proper oil level and how to properly check it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don. Are you saying overfilled motors will puff smoke on start up. That is why correct oil level is important?

6. Member
    I apologize, this was my first post on the 4 stroke page and I failed to see the Announcement instructions. Will do next time I post. Thank you for the info, thats a BIG help!! Oil level is correct so I will make sure to tilt the motor up before starting.

Thanks again!!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief206 View Post
    Don. Are you saying overfilled motors will puff smoke on start up. That is why correct oil level is important?
    That is ONE of the reasons that correct oil level is important.

Sowenssw: It's not just before starting. If you're turning the engine OFF, place the trim in a slightly positive position (do not leave engine tucked all the way DOWN with the engine off).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That is ONE of the reasons that correct oil level is important.

Sowenssw: It's not just before starting. If you're turning the engine OFF, place the trim in a slightly positive position (do not leave engine tucked all the way DOWN with the engine off).
    Thank you! Great info, does this also apply when the boat is being stored in the garage?

9. Member
    Yes.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Applies "anytime engine is not running".

WOW. 300 LPXS SN# 2B739707. Was at tournament weigh in last weekend and when I started up to leave the 300 XS belched out a puff of smoke worse than an XR6 2 stroke. Is this really the answer, all this trim down nonsense. Will have trim motor worn out in no time. Am 65 years old and parked my old Chevy's up and down hills and never had a puff of smoke at startup. What's up with Mercury????

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    WOW. 300 LPXS SN# 2B739707. Was at tournament weigh in last weekend and when I started up to leave the 300 XS belched out a puff of smoke worse than an XR6 2 stroke. Is this really the answer, all this trim down nonsense. Will have trim motor worn out in no time. Am 65 years old and parked my old Chevy's up and down hills and never had a puff of smoke at startup. What's up with Mercury????
    Richard... please take a moment to read the Forum Announcements. ONE engine per thread, and helpful/constructive assistance.

Your old Chevy's were never parked upside down, or stood on either bumper (which is about the only fair comparison to the cylinder/piston orientation being discussed here).

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Richard... please take a moment to read the Forum Announcements. ONE engine per thread, and helpful/constructive assistance.

Your old Chevy's were never parked upside down, or stood on either bumper (which is about the only fair comparison to the cylinder/piston orientation being discussed here).
    I apologize for my irrational rant. Google search led me to this thread. Is a pretty flashy new rig with lots of electronics, gathered attention at weigh in. When I started it up to leave the Merc belched out a huge puff of smoke and it was embarassing.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

14. Member

This paints a very good mental picture of what modern 4 stroke outboards are tasked to do.

15. Member
    That was my point! I liked his analogy, some pretty good design engineering involved in a high HP 4-stroke outboard to keep it from destroying itself given the physics it has to overcome. No other point implied.
    Last edited by chatabass; 10-15-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Yesterday I detailed my rig and checked oil. Was on full mark. Drained 4 oz out. Today I was fishing some skinny water. Motor was trimmed all the way up. When I decided to leave area I was in deeper water, trimmed down and started motor, puff-smoked like an XR6 on cold startup. Good design engineering???
    I had noticed mine a few times blowing a small amount of smoke.. After reading of the trim up recommendation and applying it I've not had the issue.
    If yours truly is smoking like an old XR6 as Don asked --- You should start another thread as something is wrong with yours..

i have a 2021 300 it will only do it if cranked when motor is trimmed all the way down i always crank it now trimmed up then trim down and it has never smoked so if yours still smokes when you start it trimmed up i would take it in asap

Yesterday I detailed my rig and checked oil. Was on full mark. Drained 4 oz out. Today I was fishing some skinny water. Motor was trimmed all the way up. When I decided to leave area I was in deeper water, trimmed down and started motor, puff-smoked like an XR6 on cold startup. Good design engineering???
    The full mark on the stick for these motors is the full 7 qt capacity. They need to be ran at 6 qts which will put it between the 2nd and 3rd bead on the stick. Since a qt of oil is 32 oz you cant expect draining 4 oz to change too much. Drain out another 28 oz and see what it does. Mine did a few times when new because it was full. Since i changed oil and filled with 6 qts never smoked again.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

19. Member
    When I dumped my factory fill, it was way overfilled. 6 quarts really seems to the right amount as it put the level right in the middle of the dipstick.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke