Thread: Headed to shop

Headed to shop

Taking my cobra to the shop tomorrow to have transom replaced. Best boat I have ever owned. Hopefully will be good as new. Anyone ever replaced one in cobra with good/ bad luck?

Just make sure they get down into the stringers as well. If your transom is soft, there's a good chance the "rot" or wetness may have made it into other structural areas as well.<br>
    If you replace JUST the transom and it is being tied into compromised structural components, such as the stringers for example, then you are in effect changing and only slightly improving a "terrible" condition to just a "bad" one.
    We did my buddy's 201D a few years back with Seacast...couldn't get to the stringers and the Seacast made the transom only marginally "less sloppy". He wound up getting rid of the boat.<br>
    They are great boats though, and well worth the repair. Just make sure you use the proper marine sealer/adhesive when reassembling.<br>
    Good luck
    2000 VIPER COBRA 201D /225 Merc EFI SER: 0T054298
    Where does the white go when the snow melts?

3. Member
    Appreciate the info. I talked to the shop several times and they come highly recommended so hopefully they do a good job. I’m just ready to be back on the water.

Mine was done in 2005 and it was still holding up great when I sold it in January. It was replaced with composite and not wood.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chase.noland View Post
    Appreciate the info. I talked to the shop several times and they come highly recommended so hopefully they do a good job. I’m just ready to be back on the water.
    Keep your finger on the project and take pictures to make sure it is done to your satisfaction, even if they came highly recommended, so did my X wife.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Keep your finger on the project and take pictures to make sure it is done to your satisfaction, even if they came highly recommended, so did my X wife.
    hahahaha.... that was funny,,,but sorry to hear that bro
    2000 VIPER COBRA 201D /225 Merc EFI SER: 0T054298
    Where does the white go when the snow melts?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookahawg View Post
    hahahaha.... that was funny,,,but sorry to hear that bro
    No sweat, and BTW, I have the 2002 with 2003 off 10" JP setup that you have in your signature. Love it!!