Thread: Hummingbird

Praying Hummingbird

Does anyone have a problem with their hummingbird console unit not show depth when running above 20mph, also would like to know if any other company fish finder having this problem or is it only humminbird

If the transducer is installed so it can provide depth when on plane, it will for most sizes. The brand is irrelevant.
    The larger Imaging transducers are difficult to get high speed performance though so those applications typically involve a smaller size 2D on the transom or as a shoot-thru ( depends on what boat you have ).

Installation is everything, what is yours?
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 09-21-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dbasser1 View Post
    Does anyone have a problem with their hummingbird console unit not show depth when running above 20mph, also would like to know if any other company fish finder having this problem or is it only humminbird
    0% to do with Humminbird.
    100% to with your setup.

A transducer is a transducer and if it doesn't get a return signal, it won't display bottom.

4. Member
    Type boat and installation can make a difference. Maybe posting a picture of your transducer location and type boat information would help. With an in-hull XP-9-20 and y-cable, I don't have any problems other than some noise up to 60mph. Not everyone gets the same performance across different installations and model boat.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    [QUOTE=bassburch;11389062]0% to do with Humminbird.
    100% to with your setup.

I can run 30 something mph with my transom mounted Humminbird transducer, no problem.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    0% to do with Humminbird.
    100% to with your setup.

A transducer is a transducer and if it doesn't get a return signal, it won't display bottom.
    100% correct
    I run a XNT 9 SI 180 T ducer on my '02 Cobra which has very limited area to install, so I did the best. But, once I hit 55+mph my reading get really spotty coming in and out.
    I may decide to move it to my JP with an extension, which should help with being in water much better.
    As some others have asked, take some pictures and post it, maybe better chance in getting some solution.

7. Dogfish_Jones
    My Transom mount transducer can read the bottom still in the low 60’s, up until I turn then I lose it, too much turbulence to keep reading then. I tried the in hull and that only worked up to around 25 mph. My SI transducer lose bottom around the 20 mph speed.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    My Transom mount transducer can read the bottom still in the low 60’s, up until I turn then I lose it, too much turbulence to keep reading then. I tried the in hull and that only worked up to around 25 mph. My SI transducer lose bottom around the 20 mph speed.
    Dogfish,
    Of what I have been told by Humminbird, SI should be for 5mph or less, otherwise you image will be crap.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Dogfish,
    Of what I have been told by Humminbird, SI should be for 5mph or less, otherwise you image will be crap.
    SI will work OK up to about 12 mph if you have it far enough below the hull bottom that the SI piezos can still have water contact.

The Chart Speed range goes to 10.

This is the fastest I have a screen shot of:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Dogfish,
    Yep, I have my SI transducers tucked in under my jackplate. I knew they would not read very well. I have a splitter on one of my Helix 12 SI that I have a transom mount just for reading depth at higher speeds. That the one I can get a depth reading at over 60mph.