Thread: Sleep Mode?

Sleep Mode?

Motor Sn# 2B778607 2020 200 ProXS

So I have been having problems (problems to me) with the motor quitting to trim/tilt. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not so I brought it to the dealer. Just got the call and I am told that after the start key is turned off that 5 minutes later the motor will go into "Sleep Mode" which does not allow the trip/tilt to work? I brought it in because unless I turned the key (not starting the motor) the motor would not trim/tilt. Dealer said that this is in the motors programming, and it is doing just what it is supposed to do. He said it is what Mercury has written down that the motor is supposed to do this.

Well what is the point of this as the trim lever and the bow trim will not work...especially the bow trim when getting into shallow water? Is there an "accessory mode" for the key as I can turn the key to the point before turning the key further to start the engine? Is this where the key is to be left while fishing?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One important detail you didn't include was that your engine is a DTS engine. It's setup differs slightly from the Mechanical engines.

Trim requires the wakeup of the MPR (Main Power Relay)- which occurs when the key switch is turned to the ON/RUN position.

There are key switches that are THREE (3) Position, and there are key switches that are FOUR (4) position (this includes an Accessory Position, which differs from the RUN position in that it simply powers an Accessory power relay).

Page 76 of the most common Owner's Manual describes a method for engine shutdown that leaves the DTS system active (so you can use trim from control and/or bow in this case).

The only "bypass" is a method to shut down the MPR immediately after you turn the engine off (by moving the control handle to Reverse-WOT... and you can audibly hear the system shut down).

DTS systems have been this way since 2005... the BEST option is to simply cycle the key to ON for a few seconds, then back OFF (if you are going to need to operate the trim).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

What is interesting is that the factory (boat manufacturer) didn't even know about this. They believed that is was related to the engine like a bad relay and they have been installing these engines for quite awhile.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wow. That's kindof surprising for Basscat (maybe it was the person that didn't know?)

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    One important detail you didn't include was that your engine is a DTS engine. It's setup differs slightly from the Mechanical engines.

Trim requires the wakeup of the MPR (Main Power Relay)- which occurs when the key switch is turned to the ON/RUN position.

There are key switches that are THREE (3) Position, and there are key switches that are FOUR (4) position (this includes an Accessory Position, which differs from the RUN position in that it simply powers an Accessory power relay).

Page 76 of the most common Owner's Manual describes a method for engine shutdown that leaves the DTS system active (so you can use trim from control and/or bow in this case).

The only "bypass" is a method to shut down the MPR immediately after you turn the engine off (by moving the control handle to Reverse-WOT... and you can audibly hear the system shut down).

DTS systems have been this way since 2005... the BEST option is to simply cycle the key to ON for a few seconds, then back OFF (if you are going to need to operate the trim).
    I have a hotfoot that has the throttle by wire module (I am assuming that is what it is), and at the hand throttle/shift lever there is the button that I can switch between the hotfoot and hand throttle. So I am going to guess that when using the hotfoot there is no way to do what you suggested as far as soon as the motor is turned off to go into reverse full throttle. I guess I just don't understand why Mercury would have the power relay turn off after 5 minutes? I have my suspicions that it has to do with saving the battery by not having to communicate with the "by wire" devices. But what should have happened is having the relay still powered for trim/tilt.

As far as the key on my boat there are no indentations for key positions though I can turn the key to a point where everything will work, and if I turn the key just a hair more and release the key the engine will start just like a modern car...meaning I do not have to hold the key until the motor starts.

So far I am impressed with the motor. The throttle by wire is instantaneous as far as the go juice. The HUGE downside to this engine is the RPM's. My boat with a lite load can only turn a 23 Fury pitch to 5600 rpm's. So to get even close to the max rpm's I would have to go to a 21 pitch...and even Bass Cat wouldn't do that. Boat came with a 24 Fury and the hole shot was great but could only spin it to 5400 rpm's...23 is slightly better. So at 5600 rpm's I can hit 70mph with a full tank of gas, me, and lite tackle. I might get some more rpm's when it gets a little cooler. Jack plate is hydraulic and is at its optimum height.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your experience with your key is the "Smart Start" functionality. The page I referenced in the Owner's Manual utilizes the other side of "Smart Start" (stopping the engine if the key is turned to "start" when the engine is running).

Your throttle and hotfoot can certainly be used to shutdown the MPR... simply turn the key OFF, shift control handle to Reverse-WOT position and depress hotfoot to full throttle, hold for 5 seconds. You will hear the system shut down.

Trim is not "just" a relay. The relay is awakened by the PCM command (and trim is controlled through the PCM), thus both must be active.

Performance wise: Make sure you are using a SMARTCRAFT instrument for RPM numbers. This engine MUST get up into the 6050-6150 range or you're simply leaving a huge amount of performance on the table. That 5.44 gearcase won't perform quite the same (or setup the same) as the 4.8" or the G3-TM. Whole different animal... both in terms of running height and prop pitch required.

The good thing is that you don't have to worry about whether you're reaching 100% throttle demand with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Your experience with your key is the "Smart Start" functionality. The page I referenced in the Owner's Manual utilizes the other side of "Smart Start" (stopping the engine if the key is turned to "start" when the engine is running).

Your throttle and hotfoot can certainly be used to shutdown the MPR... simply turn the key OFF, shift control handle to Reverse-WOT position and depress hotfoot to full throttle, hold for 5 seconds. You will hear the system shut down.

Trim is not "just" a relay. The relay is awakened by the PCM command (and trim is controlled through the PCM), thus both must be active.

Performance wise: Make sure you are using a SMARTCRAFT instrument for RPM numbers. This engine MUST get up into the 6050-6150 range or you're simply leaving a huge amount of performance on the table. That 5.44 gearcase won't perform quite the same (or setup the same) as the 4.8" or the G3-TM. Whole different animal... both in terms of running height and prop pitch required.

The good thing is that you don't have to worry about whether you're reaching 100% throttle demand with this one.
    I have the Merc Monitor gauge so the rpm's are as accurate as they are going to be...I am guessing. So based upon what is going on I would need a 21 pitch, and for a 19' boat that is pretty sad and I am not sure that going to that pitch is going to get me anything better than what I have now?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It will get you both torque AND horsepower (you're not reaching the engine's peak potential).