1st gen ulterra link won't steer

I have a 1st gen ulterra 80 link. I had to have the control board replaced a year ago. Didn't use more than a dozen times. It locked up, did the reset and it will stow and deploy, raise up and down and the prop will spin. But it won't turn left of right. Any ideas? I hope its not another control board.

2. Member
    So it does not turn with the foot pedal attached or it does not turn with the remote or neither? Could be one of three issues. board, steer module or both. If you not sure how to proceed then bring it in ot an ASC.

Won't steer with pedal or remote

4. Member
    Has to be either the board or the steer module. I would bring it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by skigill View Post
    Won't steer with pedal or remote

Sucks I spent $450 to have a new board installed about 1 1/2 years ago. It's on a center console and I bet I haven't used it a dozen times. Probably the board. Thanks

6. Member
    Are you taking power off the troll motor when charging. By removing power I do not mean pushing the power button on the base. I mean sutting of the breaker at the batteries.
    It is well known that battery charger in general cause issues with the Ulterra if power is not removed from the troll motor.

As soon as I'm done using the motor, It is unplugged. I have another boat with a 112 Bluetooth link, been using it for over a year. Not a single issue. This 1st gen 80 link has did this twice.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Are you taking power off the troll motor when charging. By removing power I do not mean pushing the power button on the base. I mean sutting of the breaker at the batteries.
    It is well known that battery charger in general cause issues with the Ulterra if power is not removed from the troll motor.
    I have been unplugging my Ulterra for charging just because I am cautious, Not because there is any mention in Minn Kota documents! Is it well known only by ASC's? Bob
    Clarification: There are many(CYA-Legal) caution statements for disconnecting for safety reasons for when not in use or charging. No reference to motor damage.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 09-25-2020 at 08:07 AM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

9. Member
    Bob, in all the years I was an ASC, I never read the users manual. I honestly don't know what is in there regarding disconnecting while not in use.
    To the OP, did you change the board, or did an ASC. Also, a bad steering module will take the board out. There is a fuse in the control board that is potted in (non accessible) that will blow if the steering module pulls too many amps. If the motor has been sitting up, it's possible that the steering module caused the fuse to blow if the board is damaged. In that case, will need the board and steering module.
    John

10. Member
    I can understand that. You are not a user and the warranty is for users. We need to have info to abide by the rules for warranty as well as we don't want to do anything that hurts our purchase. If the company knows what causes problems why would they not publish those things. I was in the service business for almost 40 years. I never read a user manual either. I just needed the service info. But if something the customer was doing broke their equipment I told them. Better for everyone. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I had a asc do the repair

Also, I have read that the 1st gen ulterra had a problem frying boards. Another forum someone posted he had 3 replaced. Said he got rid of it.

Thanks John. The steering module is probably the culprit. However, the asc only replaced the control board

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skigill View Post
    Also, I have read that the 1st gen ulterra had a problem frying boards. Another forum someone posted he had 3 replaced. Said he got rid of it.
    Sometimes you never get the complete story. I never heard that the gen 1 was bad about smoking boards. I do know that the steer modules have been upgraded a couple of time since the original.
    I know a case where a guy had one and smoked three boards. After the third board he was asked if he was charging his batteries with the power hooked up. He said yes. No one ever told him not to. He had a bad charger.
    John is right. Setting up does not help the troll motor. I know that we are recommended to change out boards and steering modules, because it is impossible to know what caused either to fail.
    Skigill I would bit the bullet on this one and make sure the board and the steer module gets changed. You will be much better off in the long run.

I think I am better buying a new motor. Just like a car, when you start having problems, you are usually better to get rid of it.