Shifter Seal Replacement HPDI

I am in the middle of replacing the input shaft seals, shifter seal, and waterpump, and ran into difficulty removing the round plastic “plate” (part no 65N-45321-00-00) that holds the seal and the oring. I was able to get the triangular cover off no problem, but the plastic plate is not budging. It appears to have two pry tabs on top, but the catches are sheared off. Any tricks to getting this thing out? Pull, twist, pry?

Also, I was able to pop out the shifter seal embedded in the plate, around the shaft. Assuming the plate is not budging, should I just pop in the seal and forget about the oring? Or, is the oring a common area of failure that should be replaced? In short if the oring typically does not go bad, should i just replace the seal and not mess with removing the plate and replacing the oring? Btw, it looked like water was around/under the seal when i popped it out, so hoping that was the problem. Would rather pull and replace both seal and oring, but don’t want to create new issues.

Thanks!
    Last edited by cldtx; 09-21-2020 at 08:26 AM.

2. Member
    Ran into the same problem when doing mine and ended up having to replace the plastic piece. I destroyed it prying it out of there. Talked to a friend of mine that's a Yamaha mechanic, and he said they rarely come out in one piece and it's easier to just replace it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    Ran into the same problem when doing mine and ended up having to replace the plastic piece. I destroyed it prying it out of there. Talked to a friend of mine that's a Yamaha mechanic, and he said they rarely come out in one piece and it's easier to just replace it.
    ^^ What he said.
    I've done several and only had one come out without damage. I just go ahead and order that part when I order the seals.
    Put a very light coat never-seize when installing and that will help with future removal.

4. Member
    Thanks! I hope my dealer has it in stock.

5. Member
    As a follow-up for those in the same position, the dealer had it in stock (~$16 at dealer, ~$10 online). I used a chisel & screwdriver to crack the plastic plate/donut and popped it out. New plate, oring and seal seated easily back into place.