225 Pro XS Schrader Valve Leak

Serial# 1B174572

Just purchased a new to me boat. Motor seemed to stumble a little when in gear in no wake zone (around 1000-1200 rpms). I ran the motor on muffs today and after it idled for 5 minutes I turned it off and went back to the motor and could hear an air leak. I was able to locate it at the schrader valve. Turns out the cap that covers the valve has a little rubber piece in the base of it. The rubber piece had turned sideways and whoever put it back on last didn't notice it and once threaded back on all the way it was pressing down on the valve stem.

I attempted to put the rubber piece back inside the cap properly but could not get it to go in without turning sideways. Such a simple thing and so difficult to do. Picture below of rubber piece I pulled out of cap.

View rece.png

Could the valve stem being pressed down and letting air out cause the motor to stumble like I was noticing? What are some other symptoms of a motor with an air leak? Lastly, would an air leak like this cause any other issues that I need to be looking for? I believe I fixed the issue but am wanting to know if this could have caused an additional problem because who knows how long it was going on for.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Member
    You are good now, just go boating.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    #2... it will cause a rich running condition (due to liquid fuel migrating to the air side of the rail). Leak fixed: Motor on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you