Electronics install

08 Champ 210. Going to put a 12" graph on the bow and one on the console. For the bow: Over the recessed pedal or off to the side ? Should I also go for a mount that raises the unit higher off the deck ?

For the console : mount to the starboard side of steering wheel on gunnel top cap or mount on console behind steering wheel ? I don't particularly want to mount to the right of the steering wheel because I'm not wild about drilling mount holes there nor am I wild about having to look to the right to see it when running planing speeds. I wouldn't mind it behind the steering wheel if I could locate the proper mount . Behind the wheel probably blocks some of my vision unless I figure some way to elevate the driver's seat a couple inches.

What say ye ? Anyone got any pics ?
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    I prefer my console unit off to the right... maybe just because it’s what I’m used to but it doesn’t block my vision when driving which in my mind is safer. Also, I wouldn’t want the steering wheel interference with seeing the screen or working the controls. 12” is large.

ive been running the dek-it over the trolling motor on the front. My only real complaint is the trolling motor cable getting hung up on the unit when stowing the motor... and that’s just an HDS 8. Off to the side would limit the interference, but might put it in the way of you standing, getting in and out at launch, rods, etc.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

3. Member
    Thank you sir for the feedback. I'm probably gonna wind up with the console unit to the right so I can keep my forward vision unobstructed. I think I can find a suitable mount to position it properly.
    My bow mount may be an interesting process. I need to verify that my new trolling motor pedal will in fact fit in the factory recess. The issue of the cables getting in the way when stowing and deploying the troller are something I will be on the lookout for.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I've got my 12" to the right as well. I'm on a RAM since BalZout wasn't around back then.

IMAG0184a.jpg

DSC00059a.jpg

Mark Miller at Select Marine Products makes the spacer with the cutout for the cables. I trimmed to fit between the console and top cap.

I have a HDS 7 mounted in the dash.

5. Member
    Thanks Reggie. I'm wondering if I should include some extension to the console mount to facilitate wrapping it around a little bit to keep it tucked in and a little closer to my eyes. I think that I am going to go with Garmin even though Humminbird may be coming out soon with a new offering. For now I plan to keep my HDS 7 and HDS 5 in service.
    Thanks for the pics.
    GETFISHED !!!

My 10" Garmin at the helm is mounted very similarly to Reggie's, just on a Balzout. I prefer them off the side like that, but I've also been very particular on the mounting to make sure that the outboard edge of the unit DOES NOT stick out past the rub rail. Mine is inboard by about 2".

At the bow, I prefer mine in line with the pedal and raised off the deck some. This is mostly due to the Comfortroll pan, so I can still get a bottle of water in the cup holder, and get pliers in the holder slots. Fished with it Friday and am REALLY happy with the arrangement.

7. Member
    Thanks for your help. Should I get some type of extension to bring the console unit around and in a bit closer ? Is that understandable? Just want it close as possible.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    I have an 07 Champ 200 and believe the dimensions at the pedal and console are the same. I put a 12" Helix at the front with a dek-it mount (I think, may have to look it up to verify) and a Balz-out mount off to the side at the console with a 10" Helix. I use a Troll Jacket to secure all the wires at the front and don't have to worry about the trolling motor mount pinching them.
    IMG_1511.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg

9. Member
    Thanks for the feedback and pics. Going in Friday for the update. 2 12"Garmin , livescope and a Garmin Force troller. Just hope the Megalink and touchpad survive the transition. After all this and a set of Lithiums I'm not in good shape to convert over to rocker switches ..

I appreciate the Champ family for the feedback and pics..
    GETFISHED !!!