Question Anyone running electric brakes on boat trailer

Wondering if anyone is running electric brakes on their boat trailer. I understand that some manufacturers are now again using electric brakes on boat trailers. If so how are they working out for you.

2. ourflat
    Yes, I have a 22 Ft pontoon boat trailer that I run 1 axle with electric brakes towed by my Ram 1500 4x4. I don’t know how I could manage the hills around my house while maneuvering boat to park for winter. I also love the way the trailer handles on the interstate when traveling to other lakes.

Frank

I have. I did for around 10 years. Not one single issue with them. Just unplug the cord before backing in the water.

And whatever you do—— Don’t listen to guys that have never had them, or Guys that had them and didn’t know what they were doing. Lot of guys say they are bad—- because their stepsister’s cousins, boyfriend’s plumber’s brother in law had them on a trailer in 1949 and had trouble with them.

4. Member
    How do these work when under water on the ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    How do these work when under water on the ramp?
    Better than surge brakes, but if you are concerned about brakes on the ramp you may want to look into a new tow vehicle.

6. Member
    I have always heard that they work perfectly fine on boat trailers............until they don’t. You could have problems in a week or twenty years. They are easy to repair and replace though if anything happens.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    Better than surge brakes, but if you are concerned about brakes on the ramp you may want to look into a new tow vehicle.
    I was referring to electricity under water. Are they made to go underwater or does it short out?

All the big car hauling trailers use electric brakes. They might not submerge them in the lake, but they get soaked running mile after mile on rain soaked roads.

To the OP, ask someone that has a big trailer with electric brakes if they like them. Then ask them if they have ever had a trailer with surge brakes.

Surge brakes don’t activate on a trailer until the tow vehicle pushes against the trailer‘s actuator. Go around a curve on a wet highway and traffic is stopped. The trailer will push your tow vehicle sideways before the trailer brakes can activate.

You can adjust the gain so the brakes pull the tow vehicle back, or use the controller like a Johnson Bar in a Semi Tractor with electric brakes. I have surge brakes now, not a fan

9. Member
    There are also electric over hydraulic brakes where your surge master would be replaced by an electric one and the rest is standard hydraulic. I have these with disc brakes on a dump trailer and they are fantastic, way better stopping power and a lot more trouble free than the electric drums on my travel trailer which have given me plenty of grief over the years. They also eliminate all the issues that surge brakes have with delay. If i was to do something electric on my boat trailer this is how i would do it since i could maintain my disc brakes and no worries about submerging it since the electronics and the master are mounted on the tongue of the trailer.

10. Member
    I was referring to electricity under water. Are they made to go underwater or does it short out?
    No they are not made to be submerged in the lake. However lake water is not usually very conductive and you will not really run into too many isssues but over time you will likely run into an issue at some point. They are easy and relatively inexpensive to repair or replace when something goes wrong. The mechanisms are actually simpler than hydraulic drums brakes. The only electrical item is an electromagnet installed on the primary shoe. The magnet is attracted to the face of the drum when energized and the drum face applies force to the magnet/shoe which pushes the shoes into the drum's braking surface.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    ...However lake water is not usually very conductive ....

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The problem with electric brakes on a boat trailer isn’t function. It’s cost. You either have to switch to drums or add a $600 dollar electric over hydraulic system. Surge brakes are so cheap, simple and easy to maintain that electric brakes have no advantages in such a light duty application.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Why do you question that? Fresh water is a very, very poor conductor of electricity. At 12V, current is basically negligible.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Why do you question that? Fresh water is a very, very poor conductor of electricity. At 12V, current is basically negligible.
    Indeed. Water is a lousy conductor, the problem with water is it gets into things and it can start corrosion. Then the corrosion can make it conduct.

15. Member
    I HAVE ELECTRIC BRAKES ON MY TRAILER AFTER TAKING OFF THE NON FUNCTIONING SURGE BRAKES. THESE SAME ELECTRIC BRAKES HAVE BEEN ON 3 DIFFERENT BOAT TRAILERS AND HAVE BEEN USED SINCE 1988. I have never had any problem with the brakes or any of its componets. I check them about every 2yrs. for wear, rust and potential problems. As for water problems I have never experienced any. I do lay my foot on the brake pedal for a very short time to help dry the brake shoes when leaving the lake. I will never go back to the constant surge brake problems.

By the way regular electric trailer brake kits can be had for about $200 or less. Brake controllers can be found on Ebay from very cheap to very expensive.
    Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by 375VTROCKET View Post
    I HAVE ELECTRIC BRAKES ON MY TRAILER AFTER TAKING OFF THE NON FUNCTIONING SURGE BRAKES. THESE SAME ELECTRIC BRAKES HAVE BEEN ON 3 DIFFERENT BOAT TRAILERS AND HAVE BEEN USED SINCE 1988. I have never had any problem with the brakes or any of its componets. I check them about every 2yrs. for wear, rust and potential problems. As for water problems I have never experienced any. I do lay my foot on the brake pedal for a very short time to help dry the brake shoes when leaving the lake. I will never go back to the constant surge brake problems.

By the way regular electric trailer brake kits can be had for about $200 or less. Brake controllers can be found on Ebay from very cheap to very expensive.

I bought a 19’ glass boat single axle trailer without trailer brakes once. Bought the electric brake kit, drums, backing plate with shoes and components. Wired everything to the controller and it worked like it should. Still have that controller in my present truck in case I pull a Race car trailer