1995 Fast strike 150 WOT miss

Model #J150GLEOM.

Know its not prop slip as the RPMs drop when it occurs. Only does it every so often. May do it once or twice in a short trip to a spot. Fish for awhile and not do it going to next spot or it may do it.
    Rectifier (OMC) replaced Feb after it smoked but didn't miss before this.
    Fixed some carb and fuel issues (warped bowels replaced and went from aftermarket kit to OMC) before and after this started.
    Had in on the lake a few months ago and it missed at wot like I said a couple of times but overall ran real good and we ran all over the lake fishing spots here an there then it died just following my in laws to the islands at mid to low RPM. Didn't touch it for a month then dug into it to find the optical sensor was bad using the easy timer to find that. Replaced that with OMC unit. Took it to lake and it ran real good but still has that miss.
    Did the rectifier burning up get to the power pack maybe? Plug wires I do want to replace. They are stiff and I wouldn't be shocked if they are the original ones. New plugs recently the Q78 ones. Gap set correctly too. Compression when warm and throttle blades opened is around 115 or 120 for top four and a little lower bottom two.

It sure feels, sounds, and looks like ignition.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Hit the ignition key when the miss starts, if it picks up fuel issue if it bogs then electrical issue.

3. Member
    the miss is for like a millisecond and only does it once. Not sure I can hit the ignition key that quick.

4. Member
    Are the really stiff plug wires a potential source? They don't appear cracked anywhere but might not see a small crack.

5. Member
    Hi Kirk, when the motor just died, did it start right back up? My motor did that, 1991 150 Intruder, at first I thought it was jumping out of gear, then like you, I saw that the rpm dropped. Just a quick jerk when ever it wanted too, it felt like a quick total loss of ignition, finally even at idle, or sometimes not once all day. I tested every way possible, couldn't find anything wrong. Finally at Toledo Bend it got to me, I had a new power pack and sensor, so not knowing what else to do, I put them on. That fixed it, that was 19 years ago, no problem since then. I ran into a similar problem and that was the ignition switch. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

6. Member
    No it didn't. That's when the optical sensor went bad. Only on the sync side. The cylinder part worked. It wasn't getting the sync pulse.

7. Member
    Oh BTW the easy timer did its thing to find the bad sensor.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSkeeterBells View Post
    Oh BTW the easy timer did its thing to find the bad sensor.

9. Member
    Oh yea, easy timer. Jughead, see message please.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Oh yea, easy timer. Jughead, see message please.
    Invoice sent

11. Member
    what is the easy timer folks keep mentioning? i have standard timing light

12. Member
    I'm not sure, but I will know soon. Just ordered one. My trusted mechanic has gotten too weak to work on my Evinrude. I've been learning some stuff myself.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suzukidave View Post
    what is the easy timer folks keep mentioning? i have standard timing light
    It takes the place of the OMC ignition analyzer for the 60* optical ignition systems (OIS). It plugs inline with the optical sensor (EET/EYE) and allows you to time the engine statically.. Works on both the V-6 and V-4 engines. Nice tool to have in the tool chest. I have both the factory and Jugheads model, I grab Juggie's more often but you need to follow his instructions in lieu of the factory manual when using his tool.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    It takes the place of the OMC ignition analyzer for the 60* optical ignition systems (OIS). It plugs inline with the optical sensor (EET/EYE) and allows you to time the engine statically.. Works on both the V-6 and V-4 engines. Nice tool to have in the tool chest. I have both the factory and Jugheads model, I grab Juggie's more often but you need to follow his instructions in lieu of the factory manual when using his tool.
    very cool. never owned a 60 degree so perhaps that's how i don't know.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    I'm not sure, but I will know soon. Just ordered one. My trusted mechanic has gotten too weak to work on my Evinrude. I've been learning some stuff myself.
    You can see what you ordered on E-Bay, Johnson Evinrude Easy Timer. If any member would want one, send me a PM. 10% discount for BBC members.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    That's a very good description, thanks Fred.