transom saver question

What is the nominal or proper height/clearance from ground to skeg when using a transom saver while trailering? Sorry noob question. TIA!!

Depends on what type your taking about. The new style like the Motor Mate style are set for you. The Type that hook to the back of your trailer typically have a few adjustment holes you put a bolt through for adjustment. In that case just make sure it’s set high enough that you don’t drag your lower end on a speed bump or deep gutter.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Depends on what type your taking about. The new style like the Motor Mate style are set for you. The Type that hook to the back of your trailer typically have a few adjustment holes you put a bolt through for adjustment. In that case just make sure it’s set high enough that you don’t drag your lower end on a speed bump or deep gutter.
    Or one of those steep exit ramps that seem too common at gas stations.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    The ones connecting to the roller at the trailer. And yes it can be adjust, mine only goes up to 36in and seems like the skeg is little too low, it touched the ground while reversing boat up my driveway. I just want to know how many people out there used the trailer transom and how high they it should be considered normal height. I have similar one to the motor mate as well but I don't know how that can support the transom when it bounce while trailering.

5. Member
    It shouldn’t bounce if you are adjusting the motor down enough. This can be a pretty touchy subject but I feel overall the new styles like the motor mate give better support. There are some videos by boat folks that support this. I bought the DD26 but I also had a hundred dollar gift card to ease the pain.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

6. Member
    I have a motormate and it is adjustable as it fits in the motor transom bracket holes. You can put it in any one of those holes.
    DAVID HIGHTOWER
    CARTERSVILLE, GA.
    1998 TRITON TR-18
    EVINRUDE G2 150 HO

Out of curiosity what motor does the OP have.

8. Member
    Extreme Max makes one for sale on Amazon for a reasonable price that's made of steel and is adjustable to 59", I bought the 21" to 31" for my boat and it is solid, would definitely recommend
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Williep99 View Post
    It shouldn’t bounce if you are adjusting the motor down enough. This can be a pretty touchy subject but I feel overall the new styles like the motor mate give better support. There are some videos by boat folks that support this. I bought the DD26 but I also had a hundred dollar gift card to ease the pain.
    I'll never understand this. Those lock the motor it itself.

To the OP...when I had a Ranger, I had to use the extra long ones. When I lost my first one(stolen), I had to extend it by buying extra tubing from Tractor Supply. It was not an easy fit.

10. Member
    I took what I could from a Team Marine video on YouTube. He went over a number of engine supports and gave his insight on each one. I figure that guy has worked on and seen way more boats than I ever will and probably has something to contribute. Either way, I didn’t take any of my likely nonexistent engineering knowledge and come up with an opinion, I made an opinion based on a professionals assessment.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Out of curiosity what motor does the OP have.
    I have a Merc 250 pro xs on a Triton 220 Escape
    2B115737

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    I'll never understand this. Those lock the motor it itself.

To the OP...when I had a Ranger, I had to use the extra long ones. When I lost my first one(stolen), I had to extend it by buying extra tubing from Tractor Supply. It was not an easy fit.
    Yeah I also don't understand how the motor mate or that type of support would help with the transom as the whole engine also hangs onto it. Then others would argue that with the original transom saver (attached to trailer roller) would not properly support the transom..?

In my situation, I can use both but just need to know the height between the skeg and ground clearance when trailering and using the original transom saver?

13. Member
    I would keep the skeg a little bit above the back roller height. Maybe find a steep entrance to a lot that isnt too busy that you can trim up x amount and have someone watch to make sure it clears.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4motion View Post
    Yeah I also don't understand how the motor mate or that type of support would help with the transom as the whole engine also hangs onto it. Then others would argue that with the original transom saver (attached to trailer roller) would not properly support the transom..?
    Neither type really support the transom itself, that is not what its about. The transom is plenty strong enough to support the weight of a motor, it has to be or it would never stay together on the water. Some would argue it gets more stress on the water in use than on the road.

In my opinion "transom saver" is really a misnomer. They need to call them motor supports as that would better explain what they do. Both types do one thing, keep the motor from bouncing on the hydraulics while you go down the road. They just do it in a different way. I personally think the motor mate type does a better job in this regard since there is no flex in it at all where the type that go to the roller the trailer there can be some movement since the boat will shift around some on the trailer and the trailer cross member will flex. Follow people with each type of device down a bumpy road, pay attention to the motor and you will see what i mean.

I remember when the Swivl EZE lock-n-stow first came out and guys were saying if you ran one it would destroy your boat. Total hogwash, i personally have run one on my current boat for 12 years on some of the crappiest roads in the country. If the lock-n-stow was going to cause my transom to fail it would have by now.
    Last edited by jb882; 10-02-2020 at 09:45 AM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    Neither type really support the transom itself, that is not what its about. The transom is plenty strong enough to support the weight of a motor, it has to be or it would never stay together on the water. Some would argue it gets more stress on the water in use than on the road.

In my opinion "transom saver" is really a misnomer. They need to call them motor supports as that would better explain what they do. Both types do one thing, keep the motor from bouncing on the hydraulics while you go down the road. They just do it in a different way. I personally think the motor mate type does a better job in this regard since there is no flex in it at all where the type that go to the roller the trailer there can be some movement since the boat will shift around some on the trailer and the trailer cross member will flex. Follow people with each type of device down a bumpy road, pay attention to the motor and you will see what i mean.

I remember when the Swivl EZE lock-n-stow first came out and guys were saying if you ran one it would destroy your boat. Total hogwash, i personally have run one on my current boat for 12 years on some of the crappiest roads in the country. If the lock-n-stow was going to cause my transom to fail it would have by now.
    this ^^^^^^

16. Member
    Agree totally with jb882.

Got 3 unused ones sitting in my garage. Most are adjustable. Trailer height and distance to the roller pin are all factors.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team