Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Fall Fishing in Indiana?

what's some of the best October (fall) fishing lakes in Indiana? Want to take the boat, stay a night or two with wife. Lake can be small or large. Thanks

2. Member
    Monroe once the water gets under 60 degrees

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    Monroe once the water gets under 60 degrees
    Thanks, probably won't be that when we do are trip

Quote Originally Posted by usabassin View Post
    Thanks, probably won't be that when we do are trip
    Well Wawasee sucked today if that helps.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

5. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I can't think of any lake in Indiana that I'd recommend as a good fall fishing lake anymore. Used to be, Patoka was my go to fall destination in Indiana. As most know, its not been worth much any time of the year for several seasons now. I plan to go back down to Patoka near the end of October, just because I've always made that trip for many years in the past. The only time I didn't was during the 4 years I lived in Bama. Its a kind of tradition I suppose. I will say that, even now, you do have a good chance to catch a nice size bass down there in the fall. The past several years, either myself or my wife has gotten into a good fish. I'm talking maybe 3-6lbs. Down side is that there surely weren't any numbers to go along with the one or two nice ones we caught. Last year I fished 3 days around the end of October and caught one fish, a 4lb bass.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Last edited by fishinarc; 05-24-2021 at 01:26 PM.

7. Member
    I'd pass on Boggs.. Was out there on 9/25 besides all the weeds being gone, now the algae is dying off. I don't recall in all my years fishing there, visibility being more than a foot or two. It's as much as 6 feet now and ALL of the shallow cover is exposed (and abandoned). I don't know if this is a result what they put in the lake to kill the weeds or what. It doesn't look like your typical turnover but maybe somebody can educate me on that. I don't see the bait fish pushing shallow as the temps drop because there's nothing for them to hide in.
    Everything dead is pushing it's way to the south end of the lake so O2 levels there are tanked. I tried deep water thinking the fish had moved there but couldn't find any life on the graph, perhaps they were scattered. Went home with a fat goose egg for the first time ever there. Something's thrown that lake off it's normal balance in my opinion.
    Last edited by BackLash625; 09-27-2020 at 10:10 AM.

8. Member
    Patoka was decent this weekend.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    I'd pass on Boggs.. Was out there on 9/25 besides all the weeds being gone, now the algae is dying off. I don't recall in all my years fishing there, visibility being more than a foot or two. It's as much as 6 feet now and ALL of the shallow cover is exposed (and abandoned). I don't know if this is a result what they put in the lake to kill the weeds or what. It doesn't look like your typical turnover but maybe somebody can educate me on that. I don't see the bait fish pushing shallow as the temps drop because there's nothing for them to hide in.
    Everything dead is pushing it's way to the south end of the lake so O2 levels there are tanked. I tried deep water thinking the fish had moved there but couldn't find any life on the graph, perhaps they were scattered. Went home with a fat goose egg for the first time ever there. Something's thrown that lake off it's normal balance in my opinion.

Its a tough time of year regardless.....but that place has been POUNDED for the last three years relentlessly. It is not time for the fall turnover yet.....gotta get a lot colder

10. Member
    The fish are in transition right now. It will be a couple weeks before they start to bite.

Quote Originally Posted by hardestyeric View Post
    The fish are in transition right now. It will be a couple weeks before they start to bite.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I can't think of any lake in Indiana that I'd recommend as a good fall fishing lake anymore. Used to be, Patoka was my go to fall destination in Indiana. As most know, its not been worth much any time of the year for several seasons now. I plan to go back down to Patoka near the end of October, just because I've always made that trip for many years in the past. The only time I didn't was during the 4 years I lived in Bama. Its a kind of tradition I suppose. I will say that, even now, you do have a good chance to catch a nice size bass down there in the fall. The past several years, either myself or my wife has gotten into a good fish. I'm talking maybe 3-6lbs. Down side is that there surely weren't any numbers to go along with the one or two nice ones we caught. Last year I fished 3 days around the end of October and caught one fish, a 4lb bass.
    Patoka has been pretty damn good all year. Quite a few 20+lb bags being caught every week. Quite a few numbers being caught this year too.
    First year in a while that it has fished like this.

13. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    Patoka has been pretty damn good all year. Quite a few 20+lb bags being caught every week. Quite a few numbers being caught this year too.
    First year in a while that it has fished like this.
    Good to know Russ. I've just not heard much about the lake all year long. We are still planning to head down there, maybe the last week of October.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardestyeric View Post
    Could be next week with the low temps this week.....but the best fall bite will still be a month from now IMO

SHAFER

2018 Phoenix 921
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro xs
    Hotrod

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    SHAFER
    Problem with shafer is all the boat traffic from now until it ices up. Used to love fishing it before everyone and their brothers, sons, uncles, cousins found out about it.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

17. Member
    Raccoon ! Stay in Rockville the folks will appreciate the business since the Bridge Festival was canceled.....

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Alverson View Post
    Raccoon ! Stay in Rockville the folks will appreciate the business since the Bridge Festival was canceled.....
    Googled it...looks interesting...you spend more time on east side (obviously more acreage) or the west? Which of the (looks like 4?) ramps do you prefer/has the best actual one for launching a bass boat?

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

19. Member
    I prefer launching in the state park on the west side and I normally fish on the west side. Be careful on the east side, there are trees just under the water surface.

20. Member
    Either Patoka or Monroe, when temps get into the low 40s, is in my experience, the best fishing all year on either lake. You have to be patient but a 25lb 5 fish limit isn’t out of the question....if you can find the shad in the coves it can be an awesome bite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast