Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tipping service workers - yes another post...

I believe in tipping service workers in general and try to do so as generously as I can. For fishing guide, waiter, car wash, do you still tip even when they do not even put much effort and do a crappy job?

Quote Originally Posted by BCapes View Post
    I believe in tipping service workers in general and try to do so as generously as I can. For fishing guide, waiter, car wash, do you still tip even when they do not even put much effort and do a crappy job?

Tip is 100% dependant on effort.

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I used to never tip on carry out, but I do now.

4. Member
    I left a 2 cent tip at a popular restaurant one time and let the Manager know why on our way out.
    Last edited by jimsch; 09-20-2020 at 08:51 PM.

That is what I was leaning toward. I had my truck washed yesterday and the kid worked his arse off and did not miss a spot on the interior. I tipped him very well and just realized that he deserved it versus others who do not give a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post

6. Member
    Forget it.

7. Member
    Waiter yes, even if the service is poor. It’s the majority of their income and stuff happens and everybody has a bad day. Most of the rest are different, they get paid the majority of their income and a tip is just what it is supposed to be - a bonus for good work.

I still don't understand why it’s a standard to tip guides and other self employed service workers. They set their rates, they should tips on some trips, not all or most like it is.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    I used to never tip on carry out, but I do now.
    same here especially if it’s a small mom and pop type place.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by BCapes View Post
    That is what I was leaning toward. I had my truck washed yesterday and the kid worked his arse off and did not miss a spot on the interior. I tipped him very well and just realized that he deserved it versus others who do not give a crap.
    Those are the situations I tip under. A couple of months ago we had a hell of a moving crew with the company we hired. Three younger guys that were super polite, funny and hard working. They got after it and went well above what we were expecting so we made sure we gave each of them enough to let them know it was appreciated.

Before COVID my wife and I ate at this little Mexican restaurant quite often. We always tipped extra. When we went in we were always seated immediately. The waiter would bring our drinks and chips and salsa immediately. Sometimes a little extra guacamole even when we didn’t order it. Quite a few times after finishing our meal we’d get a little dessert dish from the cook. I’m sure tipping gets us better service.

11. Member
    I enjoy great service. To me that is more important than the food. They get tipped what the job is worth. Terrible job terrible tip. Great job great tip.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

12. Member
    We are blessed beyond what we deserve and try to pass it along as we can.

13. Member
    I always give something to wait staff at restaurants, some more than others. I have two daughters that helped pay their way through college doing this, and a son that did it until he could get hired at a better paying job. They worked their butt off, with negligible base pay, and many things happened out of their control. I’m so proud of them. I’ll never forget seeing them when they left, and then when they got home, I could tell they worked hard, it was quite a transformation. They reversed the theory that I’m the teacher, all my kids taught me some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    That's the way it should be, but anymore, it is just expected to be 20% not matter what the service was. I still think restaurants should just charge a little more and pay their workers a living wage like every other industry has to. Then if they go above and beyond, throw them a couple extra dollars. But now you go to a restaurant, the server takes your order, they might fill your drinks once and then they bring your bill and you are expected to give them 20% even though they hardly did anything for you.

15. Member
    If anyone is getting a tip from me it's because they earned it.
    Cheese County Bass Club

Do you guys tip at Burger King or Wendys ?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    That's the way it should be, but anymore, it is just expected to be 20% not matter what the service was. I still think restaurants should just charge a little more and pay their workers a living wage like every other industry has to. Then if they go above and beyond, throw them a couple extra dollars. But now you go to a restaurant, the server takes your order, they might fill your drinks once and then they bring your bill and you are expected to give them 20% even though they hardly did anything for you.
    I agree that the restaurant industry should go to a flat wage just like other industries. I think though the restaurants should make it clear tips are not accepted or over time it will be expected like several other industries.

I find it odd how the restaurant industry ever got structured the way it is to begin with. If the goal was to entice the staff to do the best job they can why pay them anything to begin with. I would have thought they would have been 100% commission. I think there are some labor laws or something associated but im just not sure.

18. Banned
    tip zero if I am made to feel obligated. PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES !
    Not my problem.

Kid works a at Dunkin, makes unbelievable tips. Not a place I would tip getting a coffee in a drive through. Gets a couple 5s a day!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I agree that the restaurant industry should go to a flat wage just like other industries. I think though the restaurants should make it clear tips are not accepted or over time it will be expected like several other industries.

I find it odd how the restaurant industry ever got structured the way it is to begin with. If the goal was to entice the staff to do the best job they can why pay them anything to begin with. I would have thought they would have been 100% commission. I think there are some labor laws or something associated but im just not sure.
    It’s ok by federal law.

Under federal law, employers can take a tip credit by paying tipped workers, such as servers and bartenders, as low as $2.13 an hour if those workers earn at least the standard minimum wage of $7.25 an hour once their tips are added in.”

A few years ago a big restaurant person in NY tried to put all the staff on straight wages. They made less at 15.00 an hour than with tips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast