Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone using Dock Sticks?

I pulled up to a dock in my tin boat last week and a nail aid popped the rub rail out of the hull. Thankfully it was hot out and popped right back in place. Most everyone there had a co-angler sit in the boat holding it off the pitiful docks, or used a trolling motor to sit off the dock. I don't trust doing that with my Ultrex. Be my luck I'd just run into the dock trying to navigate with the remote LOL. A guy pulled in there with Dock Sticks and they worked. Anyone else using them...pros and cons?

2. Member

3. Member
    I have them and love them. I fish alone a lot and they are handy to snag the dock cleat when pulling in. I think I paid $70 for them 2 years ago and I haven't regretted that purchase at all....

1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

4. Member
    they are a great little tool but don't pay the 70-80$ they go for retail. There's homemade versions that are the exact same thing all over facebook /w your boat's logo on them for less than 25$. you can also make them yourself for 12-14$.

5. Member
    I made my own out of cpvc, they work great, think I have $15 in them.

6. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    I too love mine
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

7. Member
    Maybe when mine are destroyed in a couple of years, I'd make my own out of PVC. The only part that is at risk is the bungee cord. Mine are still in decent shape after a couple of years use, but there will be a time, they break or just get too weathered to do the job...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

8. Dogfish_Jones
    The problem is not the sticks, it’s not having anything to tie them to at the docks. Most docks around here have no dock cleats or tie downs on them. Plus you really need two sticks to keep your boat off the dock. One will just turn sideways and then you have the same problem as with a rope.

9. Member
    Thanks guys, I'll find some and give em a whirl. I know they worked great on the boat that was using them when I saw them.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    The problem is not the sticks, it’s not having anything to tie them to at the docks. Most docks around here have no dock cleats or tie downs on them. Plus you really need two sticks to keep your boat off the dock. One will just turn sideways and then you have the same problem as with a rope.
    This is true, although how would you tie your boat down if there's no cleats and no connection point under the dock. I guess I have never seen that scenario before. If it were a wooden dock or something with only stilts or poles, then the better choice would be rope, where you could use what you needed for length.

If your dock has cleats, or has a metal support underneath where you can connect, they are a handy tool for sure...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

11. Member
    I have made mine and a few sets for friends. They work well.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons

Am I’m I missing something! What keeps your boat from bouncing off the dock. Those sticks look like they still allow the boat to move forward and back. Wouldnt fenders still be better.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    Same here. If there happen to be cleats, you can bet they are either too close together or too far apart to be useful. Yes, our boat launches were designed by Traffic Engineers who don't have boats and have never towed a trailer. It's that obvious.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

14. Member
    If you have the dock stix at an angle, I don't believe the boat can get any closer to the dock. So looking down on the boat they would be like this / \ or like this \ /. There used to be a video that showed this. Might still be one on the Jewel website.

We do have one dock that I can't use them on. It's got cleats so far apart that I can't get both on. The dock is also floating on solid plastic lifts, so there's nothing to bite onto underneath the dock. I generally use the same dock, so it's not a problem on my home lake.
    Last edited by apenland01; 09-20-2020 at 03:55 PM. Reason: dock
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    If you have the dock stix at an angle, I don't believe the boat can get any closer to the dock. So looking down on the boat they would be like this / \ or like this \ /. There used to be a video that showed this. Might still be one on the Jewel website.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

16. Dogfish_Jones
    Some of those docks did have cleats at one time. They have either been broken into, stolen, torn away or just broken to not tie anything to them. Then the owners of those public ramps never replace them. (I use to think this was part of why we have to pay for using those ramps...upkeep?)
    Some places have where you can slip your rope between the planks or find a support pole under the walkway to tie to. Some have nothing and you need someone to hold your boat while you park or go get your truck/trailer.
    Then those that have cleats, they are spread out where you can only use one per boat.

17. Member
    I am intrigued but what keeps the boat from rocking forwards/backward??

18. Member
    In the video, as the boat rocks, it seems like the rubbing would scratch the boat

19. Member
    Here's a link to a DIY from awhile back: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=900479

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamazona View Post
    Here's a link to a DIY from awhile back: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=900479

Thanks, that looks real easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast