Helix doesn't keep GPS source after power down.

Helix Gen 3. Installed GPS puck on splash well cover directly over thru hull SI/DI. I go into Network GPS menu and source external source, works great. Park rig in garage and turn main power switch off for couple days. Fire up Helix next trip and it defaults to internal. Shouldn't it maintain external GPS source after power down?

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

2. Member
    If it looses satellite lock it will switch to the GPS2 setting. It sounds like it is mounted within inches of the big motor. That is a large section of the sky that GPS can't see. Increases the chances of not having a good lock on position to begin with. Maybe a pic of the situation would make it more clear. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Thanks for the reply Bob. I guess I could have worded that much better. I installed a HB GPS puck on the plastic splash well cover on the back of my Ranger, directly over my thru hull SI/DI. I have a 10" jack plate, wide open view above. I went into Network Source Setup, GPS and selected External. Worked great. Boat is garage kept, I only live a mile from the ramp. After a day on the lake when I park it in garage I turn main power off and plug in charger. When I go fishing, I unplug charger and turn on main power switch in garage. When I launch at the ramp, I turn on my Birds and check Network Source Setup and External has automatically been de-selected and internal has been selected? It does not say "No Fix", I simply re-select external and all is good. Sometimes I forget to check GPS source at the ramp and mark a couple way points and then remember, ah crap. I check and internal has been selected. I understand if external had "No Fix it might default to internal but I think External selection should be maintained. Your thoughts please? Thanks in advance.

3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

4. Member
    A couple things,(speculation) the "no fix" message is short lived. The switch of GPS is until you set it back. Do you turn off the units by the units power switch or the boats main power switch? There might be something that does not get saved properly by not turning the Helix off first.(?) I am sure you understand but, GPS is pretty much a line of sight signal. From horizon to horizon 360 degrees. Not just straight up. Depending on the distance to an object, a % of the sky is obscured and the signal blocked in that segment of the sky. RFI can in fact interfere with GPS reception. Close proximity to the big motor could be a factor. There is also a (probably slim) a chance your setting is not being saved. I would think more than one option would show the same affect if that were the case. Down to guesses here. Bob

I always power the units down before I pull out and turn the main power switch off after I pull it into the garage. I checked that area real good with a good compass on the water with the motor idling before I mounted the GPS there. It's a strange deal. After I initially power up the unit on the water and select external, it's fine for the rest of the day till next power down. I think next time I pull in somewhere on the lake for lunch I will power the units down and turn of main power switch and see what happens. Got me bugged? Another 12" Helix is mounted beside this unit, it network sources the external GPS through this unit. The network source selection never changes on that unit. Got me bugged? Will play with both a little more.

6. Member
    If you figure it out please post it. Good luck. Bob

Well I am still checking it out. Launched today and tied to courtesy dock. Powered up Helix and it had de selected external and selected internal at power up. Checked satellites for internal, re selected external and checked satellites. No difference, reading 6-8 satellites. No problems with external GPS rest of the day. Also to note, problem Helix has another 12" helix mounted beside it on BBT mount. It's a GPS 2D unit. It sources all sonar and external GPS from problem unit. Not a hiccup from that unit. It does not de select external GPS source if problem child is on standby. It gives me a GPS source lost or something but it does not de select external source?? How many satellites is normal on Blue Bird day??

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Well I am still checking it out. Launched today and tied to courtesy dock. Powered up Helix and it had de selected external and selected internal at power up. Checked satellites for internal, re selected external and checked satellites. No difference, reading 6-8 satellites. No problems with external GPS rest of the day. Also to note, problem Helix has another 12" helix mounted beside it on BBT mount. It's a GPS 2D unit. It sources all sonar and external GPS from problem unit. Not a hiccup from that unit. It does not de select external GPS source if problem child is on standby. It gives me a GPS source lost or something but it does not de select external source?? How many satellites is normal on Blue Bird day??
    Works through clouds also:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Does the number of satellites read determine the Est Pos Error?

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Does the number of satellites read determine the Est Pos Error?
    Yes from what I have noticed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Have you updated your software? I was having trouble with my helix 10 losing transducers and maps until I updated to 2.280. That solved everything.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Have you updated your software? I was having trouble with my helix 10 losing transducers and maps until I updated to 2.280. That solved everything.
    Yes, latest updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Works through clouds also:

Am going to check my # of satellites this week, internal and external. Does geographical location make a difference. I know it doesn't read in my garage or under a bridge. Am in the Ozark hill country. Could that possibly affect the number of satellites my units read for triangulation?