Thread: Live well pump

Live well pump

New to me 2009 nitro z-7. I was trying to get my livewell to fill today with no luck. The recrculate pump will fill it about 5". But I think I'm supposed to use the aerator switch to fill it. The aerator pump dose nothing switch just lights up. Where are the pumps located? Can't find them. How hard is it to replace? Thanks!

2. Member
    Make sure the red pump out valve inside the live well is pushed all the way in and then flip the switch that says manual down. You will need to use the manual switch to fill the live well and then recirc to recirculate the water that is in it when full.
    2011 Nitro Z7
    2011 150 Mercury Optimax

3. Member
    The one labeled "aerator" is for pulling in fresh water and will fill the well. The recirc is the recirculate pump. Both pumps are a double throw switch, the down position for manual operation, center is off and up is automatic timer. Next time you are on the water turn the aerator on in manual mode and open the well, if its not pumping water you probably have a bad pump. The pumps are not too bad to get to but are hidden. The intake pump is in the bilge, you will need to remove the batteries and reposition the oil tank from the aluminum plate that covers the bilge area. Then pull the plate, you will see the pump right there attached to the rear of the hull. The recirc pump is attached to the livewell itself, you will find that if you take off the black plastic plate that covers the rear of the well. Both should be cartridge style pumps so real easy to swap the cartridge and unless they changed from 08 to 09 they should be Johnson pump brand. see the picture below for what they should look like. They make them from 500gph to 1000gph, i upgraded all mine when they failed to the 1000 and i get a lot more flow and the wells fill fast. While you are in there looking at the pump i would check the bilge pump too and make sure that is working.

Last edited by jb882; 09-22-2020 at 08:31 AM.