Balsum (spelling) wood hull problem

While my 1996 Skeeter was in the shop for minor fiberglass repair the shop told me that the hull was made with balsum (not sure how to spell correctly) wood and that there was evidence of water infiltration. Overall the outside of the hull looks decent. There are a few pin holes that I have sealed with epoxy. One of the lockers does seem to be damp somewhat frequently. The shop said the balsum wood swells when it gets wet and can make the hull structurely unsound. They advised that the boat is probably ok on small bodies of water running at modest speeds but they recommended against launching it on big water that has any significant chop. To correct the problem the shop is recommending a complete hull overhaul. A process that would cost more than the boat is worth. Is this information correct meaning I have a big problem on my hands or do I need to find a new ship to work on my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones125 View Post
    While my 1996 Skeeter was in the shop for minor fiberglass repair the shop told me that the hull was made with balsum (not sure how to spell correctly) wood and that there was evidence of water infiltration. Overall the outside of the hull looks decent. There are a few pin holes that I have sealed with epoxy. One of the lockers does seem to be damp somewhat frequently. The shop said the balsum wood swells when it gets wet and can make the hull structurely unsound. They advised that the boat is probably ok on small bodies of water running at modest speeds but they recommended against launching it on big water that has any significant chop. To correct the problem the shop is recommending a complete hull overhaul. A process that would cost more than the boat is worth. Is this information correct meaning I have a big problem on my hands or do I need to find a new ship to work on my boat.

Get a second opinion. It's Balsa...its a good core but once its wet its shot. http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Balsa...0rot%20wet.htm

3. Member
    Just my .02. Find another shop. The hull is not balsa. Any fiberglass shop that says the HULL is balsa, I wouldn't let within 100 yards of my boat (and I don't even like my boat that much). The hull itself would always be fiberglass. It might have wood-composite stringers and transom, it could have wood in other places, but not the hull.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

4. Member
    A second opinion is a good idea but you are likely shopping for new boat. My boat is old but has no wood. It has composite inner core. I suggest you shop for boats with composite inner core.

Thought skeeter stopped using it in 1995. Might call them and ask.

6. Member
    Balsa core stringers were used back then, at least on the Champion I owned. Im not familiar with Skeeter boats construction. A weak stringer is bad news for the hull and or top cap. Id simply go look while they have it apart. I don't know of an actual hull that had balsa core?

FWIW glass, or what ever composition used can also delaminate. No wood isn't a guarantee a hull will last forever.

7. Member
    Many mfg used balsa on a end grain cuts laid out like dominoes on a sheet . That allows it to conform to a radius, its then laminated to the “outer skin “ of the hull then multiple layers of bi axial mat is glassed in. Then stringers and bulk heads added. So yes there is balsa in a boat. One boat I had opened up to do transom and stringers I found the balsa wasn’t dried enough and had worms living in it. Mind you this boat was 15 years old when I opened it due to owner neglect, but regardless balsa was a good substrate till coosa came along. As for Skeeter’s there is balsa in the core or possible a honeycomb mat with foam injected in it. The 90s era stringers were just a fiberglass shell with closed cell foam injected into the cavity , the lower motor plate knee brace is just pinched between the glass with 1/2” bolts. If you can crawl under the boat push up with your hands if you have movement, look for another boat.