Quick Icaria update from 9/19

So I’m camping with my family and we were on a walk and I saw 8/9 bass boats and I figured there must be a small club tournament. I then looked it up on the dnr website, yep one today and one tomorrow. Today’s weigh in was at 3 so I thought I would head over. I talked to few nice guy and the fishing was terrible!! So out of those guys only 3 bass over 14” brought to the scales. One guy caught 2 another fella got one. The gentleman that caught 2 Did Weigh a 4.32lb nice bass!! But they all said really tough. One guy had fished 2days and no bites!! I really wish this place was better for bass, it is a nice lake. I’ll get home tomorrow at a good time not sure if I’ll grab the boat and try someplace Sunday afternoon? If so I’ll report.

2. Member
    The state of Iowa needs to change the name of that lake to "The Dead Sea" if they don't getting it fixed.
    John the Garage Doorman

3. Member
    Yeah it’s really to bad that the bass population is so low. If it were better that lake and area would bring in more anglers plus $$ for the campground & the city of Corning. Really I don’t hear any of the fish species doing good except the glass carp. In my opinion that’s the problem way to many carp. They eat all the glass so no place for bait fish to grow, means no food for bass and other fish. I think the only thing to do is start over?? But that might really hurt the campground And I don’t think Adam country would like that. Maybe a half drain and Chemical kill the fish and start over?? I wish there was a way to half drain the lake slowly, lower 16ft and then try and net most of the carp, take them out but leave the other fish to live. Then pray for rain. Heck I don’t know but am ready for something to be done.

4. Banned
    It use to be good 6+years ago but then something happened and the bass just disappeared. Spring time was the best. Lots of 20lb limits and every now and then a 30lb limit.

I fished Green Valley Sunday from sunrise to 10am and the two of us didn't get so much as a bite. Bailed and went to 12 Mile for a couple more hours and caught 4. The whole area is fishing really slow from what I can tell...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

6. Member
    We had a good turn out at Icaria last year for our tournament. The bass are there. The problem is the COLD FRONT we just experienced gave them lock jaw.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Fish can turn off. I live on what is supposed to one of the Top 100 bass lakes in the U.S. and I can tell you that these are some of the most finicky fish anywhere and what they want will change from day to day. Today I had a good morning in a club tournament but last weekend I went out for a few hours and didn't have so much as a sniff. I grew up in Iowa (fished a tournament on Icaria in I believe 1976!) and midwest bass get really turned off by a front. I remember one day maybe 20 years ago a friend and I caught something like 30+ bass on Rock Creek Lake, not exactly known for good fishing, and the next day was a skunk-o! Good luck to all of you before the water turns hard!