Fuel treatment or no?

Hey all! Just bought a 2012 Nitro with a 250 Pro XS. The previous owner has just been putting regular fuel with no treatment in the tank. He said if I started putting SeaFoam in the tank it would due more harm than good at this point since it would dis lodge any hunk built up in the motor and potentially block the fuel supply. Is there any truth to this? What would you guys do?

2. Member
    At the top of this page you will find a sticky, with all of the information you need. But you should be running Don's cocktail in every tank of fuel. From the way it sounds, the previous owner has never changed the fuel lines or filter on the engine. I would recommend doing that for sure, and having the injectors flowed/cleaned. Then you would know exactly what has been done, or needs to be done, instead of the unknown.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lsudude101 View Post
    Hey all! Just bought a 2012 Nitro with a 250 Pro XS. The previous owner has just been putting regular fuel with no treatment in the tank. He said if I started putting SeaFoam in the tank it would due more harm than good at this point since it would dis lodge any hunk built up in the motor and potentially block the fuel supply. Is there any truth to this? What would you guys do?
    Welcome to BBC!

Apologies to all of the B.S. that seems to be coming up these days- that is NOT what the BBC Mercury forums are about, and it's not tolerated. Sorry your question went that way, but that often happens when "liquid" topics are brought up.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Here's a link to the appropriate post in the FAQ Section:

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor