2003 Yamaha vmax ran low on oil

Out today and ran out of oil in main holding tank and got a steady alarm with light. I was in 3 footers but was able to dump a gallon of oil inn the tank. Started up with no alarm but when I throttled up the alarm came back. Used trolling motor to get back. Luckily I was going across the waves and not into them. It was about a mile back but I made it. When I got home I took off the cowling and noticed the tank on the side of motor was right at the line on the side of the tank. Tried to find a primer bulb but could not find one. If I dump some oil in the tank will that be all I need to do? It is not hpdi. 225 hp ox66 direct inject

2. Member
    Did you try the toggle switch that should transfer oil from the remote tank to the main tank? If so, what happened?

3. Member
    Don't know of a toggle switch. Where is it located and does motor have to be running when doing it?

4. Member
    Use of the toggle switch is addressed in the owner's manual. The motor does not need to be running. The key needs to be in the ON position.

5. Member
    I've done this dozens of times. It takes a minute or so for the remote tank to fill up the tank on the engine. When you fill it up and turn it on, you may clear the alarm fairly quickly, but when you trim it down and hit the gas to get on plane the oil in the engine tank shifts and it triggers the alarm. I bet had you idled for a minute you would have been fine.