Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Surge brakes lock backing uphill

Got my new 2020 X19 home last nite. I have an uphill grade to back in garage. Surge brakes locked up when trailer was on the slope of driveway. So the brand spankin' new boat sat outside all night.
    This morning I tried it again to confirm I wasn't dreaming things up. Yup, no good. So somethings not working right. Off to town to find a "magnetic lock out key" for the surge brakes. Did not find one. I remembered the dealer had one, and it looked like a short sturdy orange strap attached to a half dollar size magnet. Fits in slot on front on trailer. Does not allow the ?pin? to slide to engage brakes on trailer.
    They are for sale on Ebay/Amazon for $25 or so.
    My temporary Redneck Engineering Solution was to go the Walmart & buy a 4 pack of super strong half dollar sized magnets ($2.60), found 2 nickels ($0.10), which is roughly the correct thickness, ground off the top and bottom of the nickels a little bit (so they fit in that slot on tongue), and taped the 2 nickels together with the strongest duct tape I had. I placed the taped nickels in the slot on side of tongue and placed the magnet over nickels so they would not fall out.
    Hooked up boat and backed uphill all over the yard and field road. It worked, AND YES this is a TEMPORARY FIX.
    Now I have to clean out the garage and take off those nimrod trailer guides that stick out a foot on each side--------so the boat fits INSIDE the garage!!!

2. Member
    Need vehicle info. Year, make and model.
    07 Legend LE-21__Sold.
    16 Phoenix 921 Pro xp

3. Member
    Mine done the same thing had to buy a new 6 pin connector. It wasn’t making good contact all the time for the reverse lights to keep brakes from locking.
    2015 X19 200 SHO

4. Member
    2018 GMC Sierra. 5 flat pin plug in from boat to 7? circular that plugs in to truck. i am thinkn I should have, with this wiring, an electronic lockout incorporated into the system? The "BLUE" wire on the 5 flat is/should deactivate the surge brake, but there is a "fail" somewhere?

5. Member
    i had same thing to happen it was bad connection in plug

6. Banned
    Same thing on my 2014 Chevy 2500. For whatever reason the reverse light outlet on my truck at the rear had no power when in reverse. All I had ever towed was gooseneck and the outlet in the goose neck hitch area were fine . That being said look through all the doodads and key chains that came with the boat. Lock out tab should have come with the trailer. Thats like selling a new car with locking lugs but not including the key lug wrench. I wouldnt be buying one, contact dealer if it isnt there they owe you one.

7. Member
    It's your plug, but you have to the lock out tab and it should have come with your boat.
    2018 X19 Pro
    2018 Mercury 150 ProXS
    10" Hydraulic Atlas
    Helix 9 SI
    Helix 7
    Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater101 View Post
    It's your plug, but you have to the lock out tab and it should have come with your boat.
    Or if you want a real redneck solution (that works BTW) take a nickle and put it in the groove where the surge brakes slide and duct tape it in place.... Works every time...

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

9. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Check fuse number 16 under the hood and see if it's good.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

10. Member
    Update #1: Still doing the double nickel & magnet to disengage the surge brakes on trailer. Dealer has been contacted (plenty). Waiting on dealer response on issue. Bought a 7 circular to 5 flat adapter plug from local boat dealer to see if original was defective. That was not the the problem, same issue, unless the adapter plugs I have tried are not the correct one. Realized today there are no back up lights on my Backtrack AW19 trailer. The brake, left turn, right turn, side, & tail lights work fine. Checked fuse #16 on 2018 GMC 1500, looks ok. The brake fluid in trailer reservoir was very low so I got some Dot 3 fluid to fill it. Figured when Xpress filled it they did not make sure fluid was all thru the brake lines. No change to the back up the hill problem. Brakes locked up without the 2 nickel job.
    Will see if i get smarter tomorrow...

11. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Do you have a 12 volt test light ? If you can test the reverse wire at the plug, you can see if it's the trailer or the truck.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

12. Member
    Check ground wire on trailer side (white wire). If that is good then get a needle nose plier and squeeze the center pins of the 7 way female receptacle on your truck. You can also try cleaning those pins too

13. Member
    After checking the BLUE wire at the back of the truck and it shows 12V while in reverse, the next test would be the BLUE wire at the solenoid on the trailer. The BLUE wire (at the solenoid) should have 12V while in reverse. If it does then the solenoid is bad (not causing the solenoid to engage). There is also a sound at the solenoid when the vehicle is put into reverse. Also, there is a white ground wire at the solenoid to check. Hope this helps.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GBhoss View Post
    After checking the BLUE wire at the back of the truck and it shows 12V while in reverse, the next test would be the BLUE wire at the solenoid on the trailer. The BLUE wire (at the solenoid) should have 12V while in reverse. If it does then the solenoid is bad (not causing the solenoid to engage). There is also a sound at the solenoid when the vehicle is put into reverse. Also, there is a white ground wire at the solenoid to check. Hope this helps.
    This! Blue wire has voltage when vehicle is placed in reverse. Also check using ground on trailer. If that voltage is there then it’s the solenoid or other issues associated with the trailer
    Last edited by captainrab; 09-24-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

15. Member
    Ok guys. I will check that... Looks to be a trailer issue. Boat seller is saying something to the effect of...system is very sensitive and surge brakes typically do engage on uphill slope (not biting on that line of thought), and they intend to consult (I think he said Dexter) manufacturer about issue. In one of our other conversations, he commented he has the same problem moving around other boats on sales lot. Maybe he can solve HIS problem too???
    Still on break in on Yamaha Sho 200hp motor. WOW!!!

16. Member
    I am not biting on that backing up a hill thing either because I have 2 houses that are on a hill and I have been backing up both hills for 17 years. The only time I have trouble is when the plugs come lose for some reason and the brakes lock up and the truck has a hard time backing up the boat even in four wheel drive. So like those guys have said either its a connection somewhere or its the solenoid. Good Luck.

17. Member

18. Member
    Ummmm, this might be a problem. Geez....
    Boat has been sitting outside since I bought it last friday. Finally cleaned garage out and stuck boat in there for the 1st time tonite. Alrighty now, it fits --- if I trim down motor and do the swing away tongue thing.
    So I am hangin' in the garage doing new boat stuff having a nice cold, frosty refreshment enjoying the evening. Was walking by the swing away tongue, and it struck me that I never really took a hard look at the guts of the trailer channel.
    Awwww F*CK, I blurted out loud with vigor and enthusiasm, to nobody. Isn't that something, that the pretty white ground wire in there is attached to .......... NOTHING!!!! It appears the Xpress factory trailer wiring job is not complete.
    I really did not want to even post this glaring oversight of what is now the obvious, no trailer ground. But I am, and am thankful for the BBC posters for their assistance and opinions. The next step is to get the trailer grounded and see if that is the solve to this uphill challenge.

19. Member
    That just might help!! Amazing what happens when you complete the circuit!!

20. Member
    Sent the pic of the "loose" ground wire to dealer. Scheduled for the 15 minute fix Tuesday. I feel like calling Vegas to see what the odds are of this being.... THE WIN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast