Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ourflat

New Merc 200 XS Pro 4 stroke Buzz

What is all the buzz about with these engines smoking on startup and needing to use a 19 pitch prop only to go 55 MPH? I am looking at repower my Ranger with this engine but I will wait until the dust settles.

What are current owners seeing?

Frank

2. Member
    No buzz really who do you know that’s makes a v8 outboard other than muercury it burns oil that being said low and mid range unparalleled they just require a lower pitched prop that’s all.

3. Member
    Mine runs fine with a 24 pitch prop.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
    What is all the buzz about with these engines smoking on startup and needing to use a 19 pitch prop only to go 55 MPH? I am looking at repower my Ranger with this engine but I will wait until the dust settles.

What are current owners seeing?

Frank
    Frank- maybe you're listening to the wrong bees. They buzz... but do they actually run a V8 Fourstroke?

Yes, like most any horizontal-stroke Fourstroke, the engine orientation is important. Mercury has recommended an angle with a little positive trim (in the Owner's Manual) for some time, and this is important as it helps to prevent the natural movement of oil through the piston ring gaps (which can cause a short burst of smoke on an initial start).

Prop Pitch is based on a number of factors- primarily related to the boat hull the engine is being put on. Additionally, the gearcase geometry and height needs must be considered as well (when using the G3 Torquemaster gearcase, the SLIP numbers are normally quite a bit lower than previous gearcases like your old Opti had. Hence a lower pitch is required as the prop becomes far more efficient when set up properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Frank- maybe you're listening to the wrong bees. They buzz... but do they actually run a V8 Fourstroke?

Yes, like most any horizontal-stroke Fourstroke, the engine orientation is important. Mercury has recommended an angle with a little positive trim (in the Owner's Manual) for some time, and this is important as it helps to prevent the natural movement of oil through the piston ring gaps (which can cause a short burst of smoke on an initial start).

Prop Pitch is based on a number of factors- primarily related to the boat hull the engine is being put on. Additionally, the gearcase geometry and height needs must be considered as well (when using the G3 Torquemaster gearcase, the SLIP numbers are normally quite a bit lower than previous gearcases like your old Opti had. Hence a lower pitch is required as the prop becomes far more efficient when set up properly.
    Don, not sure but I’ve been down this road before with Mercury on my other 4 stroke. This motor will cost a bit more since I will be installing update controls, gauges, and a jack plate. Not sure but there are a lot of YouTube Videos from owners and questions being asked in various bass fishing forums. I love the minimal maintenance requirements of a 4 stroke.

Frank

6. Member
    My Mercury 200hp four stroke V8 runs fine and no smoke on startup. I use a 19 pitch prop but the motor is on an 18 1/2 foot aluminium boat with no pad. I'm very happy with my top speed of 56mph.

7. Banned
    Is your 518 rated for 200 ? Just saw a flyer saying "All new 200 hp rating"

Anywho, you could do like did, get a bit more mature design in the 200 hp 4stroke 6 cylinder. Save some weight and save enough cash to go full lithium batteries and pick up a bit of the performance edge. Plus this engine doesnt seem to burn ANY fuel. Pretty amazing engine IMO, Running it on a Triton, TRX18...24" prop plenty of power for me.

8. Member
    I got 200 v8 on 20' cobra. Running a 22p tempest @ 6000rpm running 65mph. Running a 23 fury 6000rpms 63mph. run both props on same day.
    JEFF
    TALBOTT,TN
    VIPER COBRA 201
    Mercury pro xs

9. Member
    FD457954-CCE9-41DF-AF44-22256B216562.jpeg

No smoke from mine and this was on Thursday with a 22 Tempest Plus on a Triton 18TRX w/ 200 4s.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

10. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Is your 518 rated for 200 ? Just saw a flyer saying "All new 200 hp rating"

Anywho, you could do like did, get a bit more mature design in the 200 hp 4stroke 6 cylinder. Save some weight and save enough cash to go full lithium batteries and pick up a bit of the performance edge. Plus this engine doesnt seem to burn ANY fuel. Pretty amazing engine IMO, Running it on a Triton, TRX18...24" prop plenty of power for me.
    Yes, rated for 200 HP

11. Member
    I do get the smoke on startup sometimes, but it runs great with a 24P Fury on my BassCat Pantera Classic with a full load and a pair of 12ft Talons on the back.

12. Member
    My 250 V8 does not perform like my 250 pro xs opti did. In fact I have not got it to perform as well as my old 225 hpdi.
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

13. Member
    My V-8 250 is only running 70 on my TR-21....buy I am only turning 5750 RPM with a 24 P Tempest Plus. Taking in next week for the 100 hour sevive, and will check it out before trying other props. I sometimes get a very small puff of smoke on start up, but this does not worry me. If I only run 70 from now on, it does not bother me. The motor has been flawless. If I had a choice of a motor running 80, or a motor running
    Flawless, I will take the ....flawless.

14. Member
    You need to prop it to where you are turning 6000-6200 rpm for best performance
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

Smoke on start up is a tribute to it’s two stroke heritage ��

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

16. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by 22R View Post
    Smoke on start up is a tribute to it’s two stroke heritage ��

22R
    Now that’s funny! But I don’t want my $20K new Merc 4 stroke to smoke and foul spark plugs. I’m going to call Merc on Monday and hopefully be given honest answers other they may loose a lifetime Merc advocate and owner!

Frank

17. Member
    Now that’s funny! But I don’t want my $20K new Merc 4 stroke to smoke and foul spark plugs. I’m going to call Merc on Monday and hopefully be given honest answers other they may loose a lifetime Merc advocate and owner!

Frank
    You could switch to a Yamaha Sho. They make oil so even if they burned some oil you would always have more than you need.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

18. Member

Frank
    You'll be much happier with a SHO...

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Alright, fellas. Let's keep the thread within the Forum Guidelines or we won't keep it at all.....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

That buzz you're hearing pays to have its own Youtube series so they can "buzz" about anything they do not sell and that "buzz" is full of hearsay and bad information
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast