Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Line Conditioner Replacement

First, do you believe line conditioner works? Second, is there an at home replacement for the stuff? I’m guessing it’s simply made from something you can buy at any store like Walmart.

2. Banned
    Absolutely works. Never tried making it at home. I prefer the kvd stuff over reel magic. I guess the reel magic is petroleum based, but it attracts dust. I've also heard it weakens the line over time. But I've not experienced either of those issues with kvd. Spray it on a kinky spool of mono the night before and the line will be soft and straight the next day.

3. Member
    Before KVD made his line conditioner he used silicon spray.

Figured KVD just re-spooled rather than condition. Was always nervous about putting something on the line that might make a fish shy away. When mine starts kinking before ready to change.
    I normally tie off to something, back up 20 yards farther than I can cast and stretch the heck out of it.

5. Member
    Spray Silicone from Hardware store cheap and keeps done freezing in 32 degree mornings

6. Member
    the line conditioners are pretty cheap and you can get some from Walmart, I don't know how much you could really save
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

I have used KVD and also AMSOIL silicone spray. Amsoil silicone spray dries immediately, seems to work pretty good

8. Member
    KVD Conditioner...it works.

9. Member
    KVD line/lure conditioner is the real deal. Have used it for several years and it makes a notable difference in how the lines behave on the reel, both casting and spinning. I find it extends the useful life of both mono and flouro.

10. Member
    i use real magic and never had a problem

11. Member
    I keep KVD line conditioner in the boat and it is pretty crazy how much of a difference it can make. I typically use it on a spool of line that is pretty old and has a lot of memory. Couple of sprays and it handles substantially better.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

12. Banned
    I buy bilk line, in at least 1000 yd spools, and sometime 3000 yd spools, and chance line VERY often. No spray needed.

13. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    I use Reel Magic in the winter to control line memory and prevent freeze up. Might try the KVD stuff this year.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

14. Member
    My local Walmart had a bunch of Reel Snot on clearance. Just picked up a few bottles. Normally use KVD Line and lure.

15. Member
    Been using Reel Magic for years, never an issue on it. It really helps with FC especially.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

16. Member
    I got tired of all the kinks and have started using braid and a leader, even on crappie rigs.

Yes, it works. But, if I was using a line that required a conditioner, I'd find a new brand of line.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Before KVD and Reelsnot, I used WD40 in a pinch.

I use KVD line conditioner & Reel Snot. I still prefer the KVD b/c it wont leave a greasy residue. The Reel Snot helps with casting distance but leaves a mess
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Yes, it works. But, if I was using a line that required a conditioner, I'd find a new brand of line.
    You must tier change your line every trip or so, or you don't throw many lures that twist line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast