Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Would have been a good one next year! Man, that’s one big rattler.

2. Member
    I almost stepped on one once, not a good feeling.

3. Member
    You can come down here and ask me to help you find one and after a month or so of trying we would give up. Just don’t walk in the woods and expect to never see one. Cause that’s when you will find one! I know people that cruise timber and never seem to look down. I look where I’m stepping and miss some other critters. More likely to see a Copperhead than anything else poisonous. King snakes are plentiful and I let them go. Every now and then I will see a Hognose snake which are harmless but can make you jump back and think about it. I am not a snake lover that is for sure but if I determine it’s not poisonous I will relocate it or try to convince it to move along.

4. Member
    Great comments--there are good snakes, and they should be left alone, whenever possible, even venomous ones!
    One other comment, the timber rattler or even the eastern diamondback, is not the largest venomous snake in North America.

That goes to the Western Diamondback, which thankfully we don't have in our area. There are some absolute giants in this specie in West Texas and adjacent areas, but even they are getting rarer due to hunting and habitat loss.

5. Member
    Look up record. It actually belongs to the Eastern Diamond Back. With the Timber a very close second by a couple inches. But on average you will find that the Timber is more plentiful and likely to reach a larger size. Experts claim this is likely due to the fact that they live in a habit that makes them harder to find or see. Anniston Alabama has a Rattlesnake round up each year. And both species are found there. I went with an uncle one year. He always said when you find them in the front yard and you live in town it’s time to control the population. They are still there. The Western Diamondback can still get big but doesn’t hold the record. Note: I am not going to go hunting them just to see!

6. Member
    I was hanging stands last weekend when the thought occurred to me how this particular shaded high spot in the bottom I was in would be a great place for a big rattlesnake to haunt. No sooner had the thought entered my mind when I heard that ominous blast of noise.

Needless to say, that particular stand is still unhung.

-b-

7. Member
    Tan the hide. I did one that tried to bite my dog in the back yard and mounted it on a nice cedar board with upholstery tacks. Jar of alcohol and glycerin and turn the jar every day for a week and roll it up on a stick to dry. They make a really cool hide.

8. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    That's a big ol' canebrake.

They're fairly common here and I've been around more than a few... Not once, has one displayed any aggression (unless provoked).

Was driving home on a low-traffic country road one evening, and noticed a couple cars stopped up ahead. Got to where they were and there was a decent-sized rattler in the middle of the road (one of the drivers admitted that she was scared to even drive past it )...

...wasn't any problem to move it off the road and restore the normal flow of traffic.
    Who controls John Gill?

9. Member
    I knew you were fuskin nuts Hatcreek! I will encourage one to move on but not with a 3 inch stick! Did you pet it also? You have a job I suppose that would put you in their habitat more often than most people. This area in far north east Mississippi is known to grow some big ones but not many are killed yearly. I think mainly because they try to get out of your way if at all possible. Seems that they hear or feel you before you get close. Damned Copperhead and Water Moccasin get pissed at you for just breathing their air space! I was known,when young,to be a little wild and daring but I think I have outgrown that. Not taking one to Church with me and dancing with it!

10. Member
    I was thinking the same thing about saving the skin. I have a guy in N. Ga that's an amazing leather guy (holsters & belts). Last big copperhead I found in the garage I was going to chunk it in the woods and remembered "HEY I can get Ryan to make me something from that bad boy".

So with head detached, I put the carcass under the basketball goal and headed in the house for a piece of cedar and some thumb tacks.
    Came back outside not 10 minutes later and it was GONE! Freaking hawks out back had found it.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

11. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    I knew you were fuskin nuts Hatcreek!...

I do spider moving as well.

Snakes nearly always get a pass from me. This little guy wasn't so fortunate, though (that's my front door, just on the other side of the hedge)... first one I'd ever seen around the house (back in June).

Who controls John Gill?

12. Member
    Couple weeks ago, wife went out to the garage twice and each time killed a 2.5-3’ copperhead. Last Sunday after deer scouting,,took the snake boots off,,left them in the sun to dry out. Couple hours go by,,wife goes and sits in chair in front porch,,and a 2’ copperhead crawled out of the top of the 18” high snake boot 5’ from her,,she killed it. They have been pretty mean in Sept. due to molting..glad the weather is getting cold finally,,but have to be careful as they are now looking for a place to hibernate and get out of the cold. I hate the dang things myself.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Look up record. It actually belongs to the Eastern Diamond Back. With the Timber a very close second by a couple inches. But on average you will find that the Timber is more plentiful and likely to reach a larger size. Experts claim this is likely due to the fact that they live in a habit that makes them harder to find or see. Anniston Alabama has a Rattlesnake round up each year. And both species are found there. I went with an uncle one year. He always said when you find them in the front yard and you live in town it’s time to control the population. They are still there. The Western Diamondback can still get big but doesn’t hold the record. Note: I am not going to go hunting them just to see!
    Anniston Alabama has a Rattlesnake round up each year. And both species are found there

Opp Alabama has the rodeo...

14. Member
    Maybe he was waiting on the deer

15. Member
    Hatcreek,I had a friend like you once. Tried to get me to handle a copperhead. I killed him and the snake.

16. Member
    That is big one.

17. Member
    That's not a Big One, This is!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123