White River at Shoals.

The company I work for needs to do some survey work on White River at Shoals. I was wondering if any one knew how navigable the river is around that area. Could I use my RT 188 or the company's 14 ft jon boat with a 10 hp?
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

2. Member
    East Fork of the White at Shoals is extremely low right now as we’ve only had 3/10s inch of rain now past 4 weeks and no rain projected all next week. I wouldn’t waste my time fishing it due to the millions of silver carp in shallow water. They have ruined that stretch from Shoals to Williams for small mouth, Ky spots and lg. mouth. If trying to launch at Shoals, do not go a few feet downstream from launch or your into rocks even with a 10 hp. It’s a little tricky due to shallows. You can only motor north on the river about 7-8 miles as a mile above where Indian Creek River intersects East Fork is a class 1ish shallow rocky rapids is not navigable by motorized boat. If launching at Williams Dam,,downstream a couple miles Chase Ripple will be unnaviagable By motorized boat as it will be too tricky for you. Might be better to waste your time at West Boggs, or Dogwood. If at Shoals and you want to try Patoka, Hwy 150 south out of Shoals is closed to French Lick,,so go to Logoottee and down 231 to Jasper then East to Patoka. One of the better stretches of the East Fork White River used to be for small mouth was launching at Hindostan Falls below and fishing the river below the falls. That stretch has a lot of rock exposed, but I haven’t fished it in the past 8 yrs or more and don’t know how the carp issue as ruined it or not. It’s also low water so not sure of the issues of how navigable it is. I do know the Hatians, Mexicans, and illegals are fishing Hindostan Falls so expect to see 50 to 100 fishing as they carp fish. They quit fishing Williams after 2 drowned below Williams Dam last month trying to wade the rocks below the dam and are now relocated to Hindostan Falls.

Thanks for your reply. Actually I'm not fishing the river. I have to survey the channel. This entails getting elevations at every break point from bank to bank. We have 5 areas around Shoals we have to do. 1 or 2 is upstream of the ramp and the rest are downstream. Your information was exactly what I was asking for. Again thank you.

Jim
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

4. Member
    You can wade below the Hwy 50 bridge from the ramp at shoals for a couple hundred yds...I used to fly fish the shoals for smallie.

5. Member
    When you launch at Shoals,,at the ramp,,stay immediately to the right next to bank is channel, to the cut above the ramp,,then you can move across the water to west side as it will deepen...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    East Fork of the White at Shoals is extremely low right now as we’ve only had 3/10s inch of rain now past 4 weeks and no rain projected all next week. I wouldn’t waste my time fishing it due to the millions of silver carp in shallow water. They have ruined that stretch from Shoals to Williams for small mouth, Ky spots and lg. mouth. If trying to launch at Shoals, do not go a few feet downstream from launch or your into rocks even with a 10 hp. It’s a little tricky due to shallows. You can only motor north on the river about 7-8 miles as a mile above where Indian Creek River intersects East Fork is a class 1ish shallow rocky rapids is not navigable by motorized boat. If launching at Williams Dam,,downstream a couple miles Chase Ripple will be unnaviagable By motorized boat as it will be too tricky for you. Might be better to waste your time at West Boggs, or Dogwood. If at Shoals and you want to try Patoka, Hwy 150 south out of Shoals is closed to French Lick,,so go to Logoottee and down 231 to Jasper then East to Patoka. One of the better stretches of the East Fork White River used to be for small mouth was launching at Hindostan Falls below and fishing the river below the falls. That stretch has a lot of rock exposed, but I haven’t fished it in the past 8 yrs or more and don’t know how the carp issue as ruined it or not. It’s also low water so not sure of the issues of how navigable it is. I do know the Hatians, Mexicans, and illegals are fishing Hindostan Falls so expect to see 50 to 100 fishing as they carp fish. They quit fishing Williams after 2 drowned below Williams Dam last month trying to wade the rocks below the dam and are now relocated to Hindostan Falls.
    Great info...

7. Member
    Used to be,,catch the river up 2-4 ft. Not to stained,,spring time, early summer, and fall,,one spring I caught over 100 ky spotted bass on small spinners before spawn in feeding frenzy, smallie 2-3 lbs, scattered lg mouths,,,can’t do that any more cause of the damned silver carp. You can still catch bass, but you have to work at it and put up with the carp. Square billed cranks been a go getter for years Also. Its a hidden jem and you just have hit it just right in various areas of the river and surprisingly,,no competition or fishing pressure anymore.

Not to neglect the op questions, but to comment on carp. Above Williams dam the fishing has gone down hill fast. The Williams slough is worthless, it used to roll out 20# limits. Leatherwood creek sucks. Damn the carp!!!!

9. Member
    River gets high and level with the dam at Williams, carp now all way upstream and into all,feeder streams and creeks. Sucks! And Indiana DNR has no program or actions to combat Silver Carp spread.