Tin rig question.

Hey everybody, needing some help.

i currently have a motor on a 21 ft fiberglass boat that is 3 months away from losing warranty. Really the only option I have to stay in warranty is to move to an aluminum boat. I fish the TVA river system exclusively and need some help.

Has anyone made a move to an aluminum rig that fishes offshore a good bit that can give me some pointers?

The boat I’m looking at is a x21 express with a 250 sho.

Thanks...

2. Member
    I would give the Vexus AVX 2080 a look. It is rated for 200, but everything I hear about them is they are a solid boat, boxs, livewells, console, front trolling motor pedal recess are all fiberglass. I am looking to buy a new rig and this boat is on my short list.

3. Member
    i would go with the xpress it has higher hp rating might be because they are built out of thicker material who knows they have been around a long time.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    i would go with the xpress it has higher hp rating might be because they are built out of thicker material who knows they have been around a long time.
    +1

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dperkins View Post
    The boat I’m looking at is a x21 express with a 250 sho.
    Most of my fishing is done on the St Lawrence and Toledo Bend and if I were to consolidate my Z520c and RT198p down to a single boat, an X21 with a 250 SHO is what I'm probably getting.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    No way I am taking any bassboat offshore. Even on a calm day things can change quickly.

You can run a boat without warranty, help the only motor I blew up has been a 1998 efi and that was in 2015. Take care of it and run it. If it blows up in 3 years oh well slam a new motor on it with warranty for less of a hose job than getting a new boat plus interest...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    No way I am taking any bassboat offshore. Even on a calm day things can change quickly.
    I don't think he's talking about that offshore
    I assumed he means ledge fishing, but I could be wrong.

9. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    You can run a boat without warranty, help the only motor I blew up has been a 1998 efi and that was in 2015. Take care of it and run it. If it blows up in 3 years oh well slam a new motor on it with warranty for less of a hose job than getting a new boat plus interest...
    This 100%. Take care of the boat and motor and it will take care of you. Price might be meaningless to some on here but as expensive as boats are getting I'm gonna run the Tracker I bought new for as long as I can and get my money's worth out of it.

As for fishing offshore on lakes I've found that you want a boat that sits up a little high up front for less chance of taking swells over the front. I like how a Tracker with the Revolution hull (175/190/195) handles fishing the rough stuff as long as there's a stout trolling motor with spot lock being used. I think the Xpress sits this way too. Don't know about the Vexus and Avid.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

No one likes a pot licker or GPS pirate. FIND YOUR OWN FISH!

10. Banned
    Or repower your current boat if you're happy with it otherwise and plan to keep it for a long time.

11. Member
    Heck, lets be real, fishing off shore on a lake like KY Lake can be rough enough to dwarf any bass boat. My little RT188 fishes as good as any boat I've owned in calm water, but it's NOT good for running in rough water. The big Xpress would be a better choice for that. I fished out of a 19 foot Xpress with a buddy for years. He now has a 19 Skeeter. The tin boats just ride rougher than glass. You have to get back and forth to those drops and humps. I've speared waves on KY Lake in my Cat Cougar. Those kind of lakes get rough enough to make you wonder what the heck you're doing out there. I prefer a big glass boat in those conditions, preferably one that is designed to keep you dry.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jerrylee View Post
    I would give the Vexus AVX 2080 a look. It is rated for 200, but everything I hear about them is they are a solid boat, boxs, livewells, console, front trolling motor pedal recess are all fiberglass. I am looking to buy a new rig and this boat is on my short list.
    They should be on everyone’s short list. My 1880 was just delivered! I came out of a Skeeter zx200. The first hour I was just speechless! Fit and finish is top notch.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Member
    Crestliner's new MX-21 rated for a 250hp might be something for you to look at, it's what John Cox will be fishing out of next year, just not much info on the internet yet, dealers have more info
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

14. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Check with Travelers boat insurance, it covers mechanical engine breakdown. Blow the engine they repair or replace. Same goes for the lower end ,

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

15. Member
    Getting a new boat that’s aluminum instead of fiberglass just to stay in warranty doesn’t seem like the best financial move, especially if you are rolling debt into a new rig. If you are really worried about warranty I’m sure you can buy an extended one,
    just remember if they are selling you insurance, they do it at a price where they are confident that they will make money off of you. Personally I would just go without warranty.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

16. Member
    Hey everybody, needing some help.
    i currently have a motor on a 21 ft fiberglass boat that is 3 months away from losing warranty. Really the only option I have to stay in warranty is to move to an aluminum boat. I fish the TVA river system exclusively and need some help. Has anyone made a move to an aluminum rig that fishes offshore a good bit that can give me some pointers?
    [QUOTE=Dperkins;11385184]

Appears he might be talking Savanah Tennessee and by "offshore" he is talking away from the bank? The rest of the post does not make sense to me. He has a 21 foot glass boat with a late model motor and he wants to move to a tin boat, have I got that correct? And the only reason to move to a tin boat is warranty running out on current motor? Perhaps the OP is thinking he can move down in size and trade his glass boat even for a new tin boat? If he has a 21 foot glass boat he likes and the motor is in good shape just go fishing would be my advice.

17. Banned
    Not sure what motor you got but if it is still under warranty go buy a extended warranty from the manufacturer. As long as it is running good run it till it dies than buy another. If your replacing everything the day the warranty runs out you got deep pockets. As far as tin goes I would recommend buying another glass boat. Fished out of glass for 30+ years and bought a tin rig this year I won't have long.