21SCD with Mercury 250 R

So Bullet fellows, a new 2021 21SCD with a Mercury 250R and either sportmaster or torqumaster lower. What type of speed are we looking at when set up properly, medium fishing load & 250 lb driver. And which lower would be better. Also how is this boat going to handle, ride and handle bumpy water= 2,3&4 footers. And lastly if price were not an issue would you choose the Bullet over an Allison. Have been really looking at these hard lately, but my first choice is the Allison, just dont know if I want to chew on that extra 25,000 to get it. Priced one out and it was 97,400. Thanks for professional and honest feedback.

2. Member
    Well Dang Bullet guys, not one reply on your opinion of how this boat would perform, I'm a little disappointed. Guess I will call Bullet.

3. Member
    I asked that same question about 4 months ago on several places. Just not many owners of that combo right now. From what I found and from my experience owning a 21xdc and 250, I would expect 79-84 with a TM.

4. Member
    My guess is that most Bullet owners would choose the 300R with a 1.75 or 1.62 Sportmaster lower unit.

I believe that 250R sales are much lower than the 300R so your post would reach a smaller audience.

You are looking at two years excellent boat brands and I have owned two of each. They are both very good.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

5. Member
    Owned Bullets and fished out of a Ally. I couldn’t tell much difference. Bullet has a bigger front and rear fishing deck. Ally has several neat features that are very nice. Bullet has more storage space up front Ally has bigger boxes behind the seats. Bullet is a few inches longer over all. The ride. In my opinion I felt things in the Ally I never felt in my Bullet. Nothing bad just certain waves and bumps that I never feel. They both rode very similar to me. The biggest thing about the ride to me was the noise of Ally. When you do hit waves you may not feel them but you will definitely hear it. Ally has nicer consoles. Bullet nothing fancy but works and last. Ally will probably be a little faster compared to the 21’10” hull. Then lastly I just think Bullet is just way More SEXY looking. Is ally worth over 20k more. In my opinion heck no. That maybe where a lot of people get a skewed view of the Ally. Well it’s 25k more it has to be better. Ally does have a porta pottie though. Either way you go you will not go wrong. Proof is that both manufacturers have been making boats for a long time and most they buy continue to buy. They both make top notch boats. Certain things appeal to different people.
    Last edited by BULLET FAN; 09-20-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET FAN View Post
    Owned Bullets and fished out of a Ally. I couldn’t tell much difference. Bullet has a bigger front and rear fishing deck. Ally has several neat features that are very nice. Bullet has more storage space up front Ally has bigger boxes behind the seats. Bullet is a few inches longer over all. The ride. In my opinion I felt things in the Ally I never felt in my Bullet. Nothing bad just certain waves and bumps that I never feel. They both rode very similar to me. The biggest thing about the ride to me was the noise of Ally. When you do hit waves you may not feel them but you will definitely hear it. Ally has nicer consoles. Bullet nothing fancy but works and last. Ally will probably be a little faster compared to the 21’10” hull. Then lastly I just think Bullet is just way More SEXY looking. Is ally worth over 20k more. In my opinion heck no. That maybe where a lot of people get a skewed view of the Ally. Well it’s 25k more it has to be better. Ally does have a porta pottie though. Either way you go you will not go wrong. Proof is that both manufacturers have been making boats for a long time and most they buy continue to buy. They both make top notch boats. Certain things appeal to different people.
    This is a good answer. Both are excellent custom made boats. For me, the Bullets looks are so much better. Don’t have much experience with an Ally, but on looks only, I’d take the Bullet. Ally’s are lighter than the 21’10” and that definitely helps with speed. Not a fan of an Ally layout for me. Trying not to be biased, but Bullet will be my only ride. 21’ Bullets with 250’s normally run in the 80’s and 300’s in the 90’s. That’s with loads. Now stripped down and emptied out, solo and trying to max out and propped right for top speeds, a 21’ with a 300 would surprise most.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

7. Member
    Thank all of you for the answers, I would much prefer the 300 but alot of tournaments around my parts for whatever reason restrict to 250 HP, Is there anyone in or close to Richmond, Va that owns one of these, would love to ride in one. Thank you all again.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    This is a good answer. Both are excellent custom made boats. For me, the Bullets looks are so much better. Don’t have much experience with an Ally, but on looks only, I’d take the Bullet. Ally’s are lighter than the 21’10” and that definitely helps with speed. Not a fan of an Ally layout for me. Trying not to be biased, but Bullet will be my only ride. 21’ Bullets with 250’s normally run in the 80’s and 300’s in the 90’s. That’s with loads. Now stripped down and emptied out, solo and trying to max out and propped right for top speeds, a 21’ with a 300 would surprise most.
    An Allison xb21 I believe is heavier that a 21xrd and 21 xrs

Quote Originally Posted by rclark1 View Post
    An Allison xb21 I believe is heavier that a 21xrd and 21 xrs
    The 21’ XD hull weighs 1275. XRD is 1285 and XRS is in the upper 1300 lb range. Yes your right the XB21 is 1280-1350, I guess depending on year.

10. Member
    I have owned 20' XDs and now a 21SST. I very good friend of mine has a 21' dual console Ally that I've been fishing out of and driving for a good while. I love both of them they have there own selling points and down points the price difference is a big one. If money is no object it will be a very hard choice.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

11. Member
    Not much help on the 21SCD, I'm running a Bullet 20XDC with a 250R, Sportmaster with 1:75's. I really like it. Getting it set up has been a challenge but I'm beginning to make progress. My biggest issue has been with the motor set high enough to run out good on top end (1-1/2" above pad), it blows out when the bow breaks over. Lower the motor down so it doesn't blow out and it doesn't run out on top end. I added a hydraulic jack-plate and it solved the issue. Propping it has also been a challenge too. In the beginning I wasn't trying big enough props. Right now I'm running a 32p Max5 and it seems to be working pretty good.

I had the motor flashed to 325hp, but it's my understanding that Mercury put the nix on flashing them (as far as dealers and certified mechanics) could probably buy the flash from Simons and do it yourself. It made a huge difference.

I second everything Bullet Fan said,

Here's my numbers.

2020 21 SDC
    300r 1.60 gears
    28 Bravo 1
    best so far 89 gps solo with gear and fuel
    hole shot is good,better than my previous Champions,,, some slip but learn to feather the hotfoot helped me.
    Came out of a Champ 206 and a 202,,,,,, I wouldn't go back.,,,

Son in law has has a 21 foot Allison bass pro sport with a merc 250, its fast, fishes good, excellent compartments. Ride and drive in both. You won't go wrong with either.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    So Bullet fellows, a new 2021 21SCD with a Mercury 250R and either sportmaster or torqumaster lower. What type of speed are we looking at when set up properly, medium fishing load & 250 lb driver. And which lower would be better. Also how is this boat going to handle, ride and handle bumpy water= 2,3&4 footers. And lastly if price were not an issue would you choose the Bullet over an Allison. Have been really looking at these hard lately, but my first choice is the Allison, just dont know if I want to chew on that extra 25,000 to get it. Priced one out and it was 97,400. Thanks for professional and honest feedback.
    Let me know if I can help with the Allison questions, the pricing is much closer than one would think. I have several 21 Bullets and 21 Allisons in the shop at the moment for a fair comparison.

The Allison is good with the 250 or 300R. The 250R will fish upper 80s to low 90s and the 300R will fish mid to upper 90s.

On the Bullet 21 XRS/SDC I would choose the 250 Pro XS (Torquemaster) over the 250R (Sportmaster). You will want the SM on the 300R.

As for weight, the XB-21 2 seater is around 1400lbs dry.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 09-30-2020 at 11:30 PM.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

14. BBC SPONSOR
    The 21’ XD hull weighs 1275. XRD is 1285 and XRS is in the upper 1300 lb range. Yes your right the XB21 is 1280-1350, I guess depending on year.
    Xrs is over 1500, probably closer to 1600. They've all gained weight the last few years.
    www.bassboatelectronics.com

2008 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Merc 250 Pro XS

Knoxville, TN

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    Thank all of you for the answers, I would much prefer the 300 but alot of tournaments around my parts for whatever reason restrict to 250 HP, Is there anyone in or close to Richmond, Va that owns one of these, would love to ride in one. Thank you all again.
    I ran in to the same situation. I really wanted the 300R but due to tournament restrictions to 250hp, I opted for the 250R but had it flashed to 325hp. The flash is made by Simons (but I heard Mercury is putting the squash on doing these now, it also can void the warranty).

I'm running the 250R on a 20XDC. I'm still in the process of getting it set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad2002xrd View Post
    Xrs is over 1500, probably closer to 1600. They've all gained weight the last few years.
    The XRS must have got a little chubby in the latest years.

17. Member
    I have a 17 XRS and I have always felt it was heavier than advertised.

18. Member
    The XRS must have got a little chubby in the latest years.
    yes they have