Loose Shifter- '06 Mercury Pro XS

1. 1B389391
    2. 2006 Mercury 225 Pro XS

Hey folks. My shifter is very loose left to right. I took the cover plates off but have no idea how to tighten it up? Could you give me advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look at the bottom of the shifter there’s a black “button”. Pry it out, tighten a bit. You may have to buy the black button to replace. They have a tendency to get destroyed when prying out.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Recommend removing the shift handle from the shaft, inspect the white plastic bushing, make sure the bushing is in the FACEPLATE (completely recessed in the faceplate), reinstall the shifter, blue loctite on the retaining bolt. Button is the last thing installed.

Note: Button removes easiest if you push it in, move shifter to forward gear position, then carefully pry the button out. REMEMBER TO RETURN SHIFTER TO NEUTRAL POSITION BEFORE REMOVING BOLT (and it stays in neutral for the remainder of the process).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you guys. Thanks European Marine (Don/Rhonda) also for getting my recent order shipped out yesterday!

I removed the shifter as Don describes. The button popped out with 2 small flathead screw drivers on each side, and slowly popping it out. The white bushing is in fact cracked. So I will replace that :-). When I tightened it back up so I could fish today, it is still loose. I assume because the white bushing is cracked? True?

I also found the reason why my trim doesn't work.... Found all the wires broken. Could you give me advice? I was gonna use heat shrink connectors and connect red on one side, blue/green on other and leave them loose around cylinder and tighten them together below shifter?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fishthenation; 09-19-2020 at 03:05 PM.

5. Member
    sure looks like that bushing is made like that,i dont think it would crack that straight and i might be wrong

6. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    sure looks like that bushing is made like that,i dont think it would crack that straight and i might be wrong
    Yes, busing is designed like that! I found my wires inside my Commander 3000 to have chaffing on them so I applied anti chaffing tape to those wires before reinstalling components.

Frank

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    You are not wrong.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    You are not wrong.
    that means your exactly right
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Indeed bushing is made that way. Fits deep down in there (at same basic depth as the shaft).

Trim wires: UGH. Don't make any splices that are visible with the handle pulled out 5" from the faceplate. That means
    that any splice either has to be up inside the handle, or back behind the control.

BEST way to repair is to replace the trim switch (which comes with new wire harness).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Explained well, and thank you