Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    General question... the group 31 duracell (and various branded versions) has a reserve capacity of 200 while the group 29 wet cell battery from autozone (same as the popular everstart from walmart) has a reserve capacity of 210...

Does that make the group 29 a better trolling motor battery?

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

2. Member
    Group 29 and 31 are essentially the same size. JCI labelled their larger battery 29. RC is the important spec for a trolling motor, so, yes, a larger RC should be better for a troller. At 100 dollars that Duralast at AutoZone is very good value.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    thanks to all for this thread. I felt I wanted a couple of JCI based group 31's to replace my 6+ year old set of Group 27's which had served me well but could not find any at Walmart or costco. I was resigned to getting the AGM's from Sams when I say catdudes post about the duralast. I never think about autozone for Marine batteries.

Something never talked about that is important to me where i fish in Florida is local dealer support. We have an autozone but no sams and no costco.

The group 29 Duralast fit my group 31 trays perfectly. again, thanks to all
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

4. Member
    I used an online 30% coupon at advanced auto parts to get my optimas. Ship to store. ( this was combined with a 25$ rebate and a free charger for each battery) Turned into a good deal. Out in the boat yesterday, sticker on batteries says 5/14. Still using them, they look new.
    Some great info in this thread. Two points I took out of it, newer GPS motors voltage sensitive, wire direct to battery. I will remember both in the future.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    General question... the group 31 duracell (and various branded versions) has a reserve capacity of 200 while the group 29 wet cell battery from autozone (same as the popular everstart from walmart) has a reserve capacity of 210...

Does that make the group 29 a better trolling motor battery?
    The difference is the RC is due to the way manufacturers test their batteries. Some are tested at higher rates of draw than others, usually a 20A draw or a 25A draw. Naturally a 20A draw is going to give longer RC than the 25A draw.
    John

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jones JTM View Post
    The difference is the RC is due to the way manufacturers test their batteries. Some are tested at higher rates of draw than others, usually a 20A draw or a 25A draw. Naturally a 20A draw is going to give longer RC than the 25A draw.
    John
    Thanks John, I figured it wasn't that cut and dry... probably not easy to determine at what amperage they test at.

7. Member
    I had good success with the Duracell AGM 31’s for my 24 volt Fortrex. 3 years out of them no problems what so ever then sold that boat. I had a set of optima blue tops that were 8 years old and still going. Now I run Lithium Ionics and they are sweet!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    Thanks John, I figured it wasn't that cut and dry... probably not easy to determine at what amperage they test at.
    The flooded JCI 29 has RC of 210 at 25 amps
    The flooded Deka 31 has RC of 190 at 25 amps

So comparing those two wet batteries, JCI has a larger RC
    Price is about the same
    Last edited by catdude28; 09-25-2020 at 07:55 PM.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    I was pretty much set on the Sam's club Duracell 31 AGM ($179) for starting, and 3 of the Duracell 31 Flooded ($99) for my trolling motor, but yesterday I came across the DieHard Marine Battery, AGM Group Size 31M, 825 CCA, 1000 CA, RC=200min (31M-AGM -$150 with coupon and 2 year warranty) at Advanced. Any thoughts on Duracell 31 AGM vs DieHard 31 AGM? My understanding is that this was the "replacement" for the P1.

10. Member
    I use Group 31 Diehard AGM on my cranking electronics ( 4 graphs ) I use $99 lead acid marine batteries from Autozone. I am meticulous in keeping them wet with distilled water. 3 years and going on the lead acid batteries. Bought the Diehard in 2015
    I spot lock a lot on the TN River and never run out of juice.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebrownfnr View Post
    I use Group 31 Diehard AGM on my cranking electronics ( 4 graphs )
    I just got one recently, and have already had a low voltage warning on my console Lowrance. Has me worried. Three graphs including Livescope.

12. Member
    Put units at console on "Standby" mode when fishing at the bow. That way as long as your wiring is up to par you wont have that low voltage alarm when starting. When you get done fishing at the bow and return to the console start the engine first and then take console units off "standby" mode.

13. Member
    In the chart above, the Deka AGM and JCI lead/acid is the same RC. On the chart above, with DEKA, you would look under the column of "min @ 25A" to compare to the 25A RC of JCI. Both are 210. However, in looking at the CCA and MCA column, the MCA of Deka is the compares to CA of JCI. You can see the difference in that reading. That is one of the reasons the DEKA AGM is better for the cranking/accessory side than the 29 lead/acid of JCI.
    John

14. Member
    The group 29 JCI really can't be beat for the price as trolling power.. provided it's maintained properly...

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebrownfnr View Post
    I use Group 31 Diehard AGM on my cranking electronics ( 4 graphs ) I use $99 lead acid marine batteries from Autozone. I am meticulous in keeping them wet with distilled water. 3 years and going on the lead acid batteries. Bought the Diehard in 2015
    I spot lock a lot on the TN River and never run out of juice.
    Fives years ago that 31 Diehard AGM was a relabelled Odyssey, a very good battery and reasonably priced at Sears. They now have a new supplier. The casing does not look like Deka/East Penn, JCI, or Exide. My guess is that it is some company overseas manufactures the new ones.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post

With all the focus on marine batteries I hadn't thought about the truck. While I won't trash the battery that is there until needed I will be looking at AGM when it needs to be replaced.

Thanks for posting that.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

17. Member
    Just some additional info on manufacturers after poking around:

LEAD-ACID BATTERY MANUFACTURERS AND BRAND NAMES LIST 2020
    http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

FORMER JCI BATTERY BUSINESS RE-LAUNCHES AS CLARIOS TO FOCUS ON ADVANCED BATTERY GROWTH
    http://www.batteriesinternational.co...attery-growth/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12