Took the second console out

I pulled my second console out (absolutely LOVE IT!!!!) of my PIV 2003. Went well and fairly easy project. BUT... now I have the black silicone/adhesive on the edge/lip where it attached to the rod locker box. I have used goo gone, some 3m adhesive remover and several other things. I put a dent into it but it is still there (at least 50%).

Any ideas and tips guys? I'm going to fill the holes with some Marine Tex and Gel Coat from Bass Cat, so do I just sand it off and start over?

What about your travel cover (if you have one)?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

3. Member
    All he needs is an adjustable tent pole raised the same height as the console that he just removed. Good idea to put a snap in there to hold the pole in place. That is how the covers on a single console boat work.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    I had the travel cover modified almost exactly like catdude said. My cover guy, just dropped a pole and a vent at the top and I was in business. Pulled it down the highway at 70mph and zero issues.

Ok, thanks.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

6. Member
    I did the same about a year ago and the extra room is awesome . I started out working on the sealant bead with a razor scraper held at a flat angle and lubricated with goo gone to shave of the bulk of the sealant away being careful not to gouge into the gelcoat . Next I went to a plastic putty knife with a sharp edge trying to get under the sealant and separate it from the gelcoat . The last step was a rag soaked in goo gone rubbing and rubbing on the thin layer of sealant that remained .
    It took a lot of elbow grease but it all finally came off . I plugged the holes with some red anodized trim washers with flat head screws that matched the trim rings on the drivers console gauges . This way I can always put the console back on if I sell the boat p2_console.JPG

7. Member
    When I first saw the red trim and screws I thought it was led lights... look s good.

I hate my 2nd console. Wife loves it. I take it out every year about this time, but put it back in the summer when she’s in the boat.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

9. Member
    Red LED's ? Great idea for warning lights in lieu of a console . If the lights are blinking "Hold on!"

10. Member
    Thanks for the tips! I got it all off and managed to do it without scratching the gel coat!