Tough Day on Tenkiller. Too much competition!

Got on the water late due to GFCI tripped and had to reset and charge batteries.
    Had breakfast with a buddy and took off to drive to Tenkiller.
    Out of state park and across the way into Elk Creek cove and immediately saw scattered fish busting top.
    Worked a bank down and saw tons of bait on Garmin with fish slashing through them from bottom up.
    Occassionally a whopper of a bust on top.
    Finally as I got back to the shallower water I saw the schools of shad on top. Little bitty dinky 1 inch shad.
    I did not have any such small chrome color baits and threw everything I had at them.
    Finally a chrome colored spot took 3 fish, biggest two pounds.
    Frustrating fishing to try and chase to scattered fish on top.
    I felt like I was chasing my tail.
    Finally gave up, tried plastics on bottom, all the while watching fish but on top.
    Changeed spots and went up lake.
    Gars feeding on same shad on shallow banks where wind pushed the shad up shallow.
    Went further up lake to find another area where big fish were busting shad.
    Threw all I had into the millions of shad and did not catch a fish after those first three!
    I am going back to the river!

2. Member
    Every bank I fished at Ft Gibson last weekend was covered in the same 1" shad. Its that time of year.

3. Member
    Thinking back on what I should have done different, I should have worked the northern side coves as the wind was blowing from the North into the southern coves. That pushed the shad into those. The Northern Coves should have been shad free and then maybe I would have had a chance with whatever bass did not follow the shad.
    Live and learn.

4. Member
    Hudson was the same way weekend before last. Everything you read about fall fishing is find the bait and you’ll find the fish but I’ve never been able to catch them when they’re busting shad schools in the thousands.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Thinking back on what I should have done different, I should have worked the northern side coves as the wind was blowing from the North into the southern coves. That pushed the shad into those. The Northern Coves should have been shad free and then maybe I would have had a chance with whatever bass did not follow the shad.
    Live and learn.
    10 million shad,one lure,makes it tough ..same here...
    TrackerUser

Quote Originally Posted by 920screaming250 View Post
    10 million shad,one lure,makes it tough ..same here...
    Better off to buy a Lottery Ticket