First time on the James River

I’ll be fishing as a Co-angler on the James River in October and have never fished or seen the river. Looking for advice on what kind of fishing to expect and tips for getting bites on the James.

2. Scraps
    Like any other river (I think the James is tidal) I'd assume worm fishing to play well. In October crankbaits will be working. Here on the Delaware River in October a black neon tube for flipping would do well. I'd search Google and YouTube for more details. Pretty basic shallow water fishing.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Crankbaits, spinnerbaits & chatterbaits will get you bites. Don't be afraid to throw a buzzbait either. If you are working laydowns, duck blinds or docks, a jig is a great choice in the fall. Everything is shallow so no deep running stuff is needed, and stick to basic colors for off colored water. Good luck.

4. Member
    Exactly what Phoenix Mark said. For a co angler I would also add a small Texas rigged work on spinning gear and a drop shot with the worm Texas rigged. 20lb braid to a 14lb leader is my setup for spinning gear on the river.
    2013 Ranger Z521 250E-Tech H.O.
    hawghuntersbassclub.org

5. Member
    Second the drop shot if your boater is fishing slow enough

6. Member
    Need to downsize a little for the james, KVD 1.5 crankbait in Orange Belly Craw and Gizzard shad, 1/4 or 3/8 spinnerbaits, 6" worms in Blue Fleck with 1/4 oz bullet weight, they like a Dbomb too in Blue Black. That should catch you all the fish you need, especially in October, river is usually on fire.