Launching with Ultrex like Ulterra?

Just curious if anyone has/down launch with the Ultrex like the Ulterra? I know it doesnt auto deploy, but couldnt you get it in the water or half way in, then deploy it yourself and then use the spotlock etc the same way? That is the only thing making me lean to the Ulterra, but the cable steer feel of Ultrex and other reasons and making me think thats the way to go. Thoughts?

Yes. With a terrova we had been doing the ultrex launch before ultrex happened, we would unlock the stowed position and balance it up, then to deploy we would just steer till the motor fell into the water.

you can't do that but launch the boat, get in it, deploy and drive away, do this with someone in the boat to test range.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    I wouldn't suggest trying to balance the Ultrex in a partially deployed state to launch. One false move and you've got a trailer between the open water and trolling motor, then you can't pull the trailer out without grabbing the trolling motor. You can however, launch the boat with you in it, pull it away from the trailer, deploy the Ultrex and troll to the landing dock if there is one, get out without tying up the boat, steer it away from the dock and spotlock it. Then pull the trailer up, come back and using the remote bring the boat back to you.
    John

4. Member
    Ulterra is awesome
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

5. Member
    I can't seem to remember how we launched boats the old fashioned way! I vaguely remember a piece of rope hooked to the boat. They must make launch ramps different these days. Or maybe it is more crowded and people are arses and too impatient. Yes I have an Ulterra, but don't feel the need to chance it. If I get to the point I need help I will get a friend to go along. I am just another crabby old guy I guess. Sorry, but that is just how I feel. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    Bob, the older I get the more crabby people get. I think there is more people at the ramps now that have no ideal how to launch, or retrieve, a boat. Yeah, the old days involved a 20' rope, back in, slide the boat of when you stop the truck, pull up til boat got to ramp, get out, untie rope and get in boat to move to dock, then go get truck. real simple and if you were by yourself, people had patience. patience is something that people are lacking now.
    John

7. Member
    If you have a keel protector and power poles you don't even need a rope to anchor your boat.

8. Member
    I think you could pay someone to hold your boat cheaper
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go