Extended Warranty Issue

I bought my Skeeter in 2017 brand new from a very popular skeeter dealer during a promotional event which extended the warranty out to 5 years. I checked on Yamahas website and the warranty expired after 3 years from the purchase date.

I went over all of the paperwork and the only mention I have of the warranty is an email from the owner of the dealership stating that the boat would come with a 5 year warranty. This was because I specifically asked before we ordered the boat.

I have been in the contact with the dealer, and they were somewhat responsive at first. They said they would figure it out and let me know. They offered to give me a good trade on my boat if I wanted a new one, which I am not interested in. After turning down the trade in deal, they have not responded.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed with this? I know Yamaha sad it is on them to submit for the extra warranty. Do I contact Skeeter? Do I just drop it and move on? Did I do something wrong here?

Thanks for any advice.

Continue communication With the dealer, meanwhile start barking up skeeters communication, and within a week or two file a report with the BBB better business bureau. Then come on here if for not fixed up and blast the dealer. The salesman (who may have done this without the dealer) this is a scam. This is serious.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

I think after 3 years ALL extended warranties go through a separate entity than Yamaha. That being said that dealership shoukd be able to easily verify with that company.

4. Member
    Normal is three. Then, you should have gotten a separate YES warranty from Yamaha that showed the end date as 5 years from date of purchase.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keoweeskeeter View Post
    Normal is three. Then, you should have gotten a separate YES warranty from Yamaha that showed the end date as 5 years from date of purchase.
    This is correct. If you didn't get the documentation, you don't have an extended warranty. I am on my second SHO and both had extended YES warranty with documentation.
    You probably won't win this battle.

6. Member
    I talked to a different dealer. He said that it is on the dealer to submit the skeeter promotion to get the extended YES warranty. Kind of a bummer as none of my documentation says 3 year or 5 year. Just an email chain I have with the dealership owner that specifically says it comes with a 5 year. Very weird that they make it this complicated to get the extended warranty. Especially since that’s a big part of the reason why I went with a skeeter over a Phoenix.

This is why I said blast the dealer/ salesman. They should be able to get you extended yes plan still. Will cost a lot more is all. I would speculate the salesman didn't file on purpose to pad his pocket in the sale.

8. Member
    Keep those emails, it will work out for you in the long run. Like mentioned above, the YES plan is done by the dealer not the MFG. Most likely you will not need it if you keep up on your maintenance and use it regularly. The worst thing you can do is let it setup for l g durations and run it with bad gas etc.

9. Member
    I would email the dealer a screenshot of those emails where they stated that you would get the warranty.

10. Member
    Little update here in case anyone else finds themselves in this situation. After about 3 weeks of no contact from the dealer, not responding to my request for updates on the matter, I emailed skeeter directly Friday evening. I explained the entire situation and was very blunt about my fears of being scammed. First thing this morning I received a phone call from the owner of the dealership apologizing for the lack of communication. He did apologize and admitting that this was there issue and they simply forgot to submit the rebate for the warranty. He claims my motor will be under warranty by the end of the week. Kudos to Skeeter headquarters for getting some movement on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Little update here in case anyone else finds themselves in this situation. After about 3 weeks of no contact from the dealer, not responding to my request for updates on the matter, I emailed skeeter directly Friday evening. I explained the entire situation and was very blunt about my fears of being scammed. First thing this morning I received a phone call from the owner of the dealership apologizing for the lack of communication. He did apologize and admitting that this was there issue and they simply forgot to submit the rebate for the warranty. He claims my motor will be under warranty by the end of the week. Kudos to Skeeter headquarters for getting some movement on the issue.

Great news. Glad its on the path of being resolved.

12. Member
    Congrats, was certain it would work out for you.

Good job and sounds like you kept it together better than I would have