Mercury 1997 200 efi wont go over 2000 rpm

Og518079.
    1997 200 efi wont go over 2000 rpm
    When you first start it then Eventually it will start working fine. Then if you shut it off for a while it will do it all over again stuck at 2000 rpm and then eventually in a work for a while sometimes it stays at 2000 rpm for a while and sometimes it works OK. fuel pressure seems to remain around 33 to 34. Voltage is up to 14 vdc.
    No alarms .but there is this weird whistling noise I can hear and of the engine when the cowing it's off.
    Spark on all 6 work even while it wont go over 2000 rpm
    It seems like ecm is saying hey don't go

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your engine (a 2.5L) belongs in the next forum down. I'll move the thread for you.

Good idea to check the exhaust tuner and make sure it's properly affixed to the adapter plate.

Then: If compression and SPARK are both good, you're left with FUEL. As you've likely surmised, the Cummins ECM your engine uses has a history of loose drivers on the circuit board. Injector pair output tests (voltage) are provided in the manual, allowing you to sample the voltages when the problem is occurring, to see if one or more drivers have dropped out.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I had a fuel pressure gauge hooked up for viewing and it stays at 34 to 36 psi...
    Would it be the exhaust runner if it's sporadically doing it?
    Definitely usually on start up and after fishing for a while and then restart

4. Member
    Sounds like stator going out.

5. Member
    ^^^agree
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^ Definitely worth checking!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks to all