Thread: 1992 482vs.

Thumbs down 1992 482vs.

Hi all,

Just bought a 482vs with a 150 Johnson fast strike. It has a 4 blade prop that I need to take off to see the pitch and brand. Just from the look I am guessing a 23+ pitch. It’s a little dinged up but when trimmed up it’s hard to turn left. Would that be prop, motor height or steering system? All is well trimmed down. Also it has a flasher in the dash that stays on constant. I went out the other day and the flasher was making a horrible buzzing sound that was similar to a pump being on. I was able to kill power off of the main switch in the bolder. Any suggestions to either question?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    There should be a toggle switch somewhere on your console to turn off the flasher...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

3. Member
    If it’s hard to turn left, that’s due to the rotation/propulsion of the prop and sound alike your steering system has some gremlins. If you have hydraulic steering then check the fluid, then check the hose for some leaks. Something is creating resistance If it’s cable steering then grease up the shaft assembly near the motor. Otherwise your steering cables could be rusted up. My old nitro had the same steering issue and it ended up to be the cables were rusted and that’s just the nature of cable steer. The flasher is a dial and there should be two knobs, one right on top of the other. The one closest to the dash is the power and depth settings, the one on top of that is the sensitivity. Turn the lower one to the left to shut it off. They all make a buzzing sound so that’s pretty common. (Even my FL12 thats 6yo does the same thing).
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Thanks,

I will take a look at all of the suggestions tomorrow. The buzzing from the flasher was really loud, almost like a grinding that you could hear from a ways off. I will look for a power switch. I appreciate it.

5. Member
    Hydraulic steering in rangers came std in 95