MotorGuide TM loose on TFX175 help pls

Need guidance on accessing hold down bolts for the stock MG trolling motor and tray on a Bass Tracker TFX 175. 2 Phillips headed bolts appear to be stripped on the bottom tray/panel. Initially only able to remove power panel at bow seat position so far. Am thinking we need to remove the sloped carpeted panel to access the mounting bolt's nuts? Is the sloped panel mounted with screws only? Number of screws and locations would be really helpful. Recommended replacement nuts, bolts and washers for long term security. Appreciate any help, guidance or recommendations. Thanx in advance

2. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Yes you need to remove the sloped carpeted panel. Just look really close and keep pulling screws until it finally pops off. Should be 8-10 of them but BE CAREFUL because they're stainless and easy to strip. Once you get that off you'll be able to get in there with a wrench and tighten them. If the nuts aren't nylocs replace them with stainless nylocs. 4 of them are secured from behind and the front 2 are just run in there as a regular screw because you can't get to them from underneath like the rear and middle bolts. If you have stove pipe arms see if you can talk someone with skinny arms to get up in the hole with the wrench while you tighten from up top.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

3. Member
    Awesome!! Thank you for the quick reply, instructions and hardware recommendations. Best of luck Fishin !!

4. Member
    My Motorguide was loose on my 185 XT and I found out when trying to remove it they used those rubber squash type nuts that compress when you tighten them so you don't have to get under the deck. well after a few years and the rubber wears, and the nut in the end rusted, they were a PITA to get out, poor design for sure. I replaced all of mine with 1/4" stainless - socket head cap screws and Stainless Nylock nuts and Stainless fender washers under the deck where the wood is. I used the socket head screw because most thieves don't carry a set of Allen Wrenches with them.....

5. Member
    I'm slowly replacing all the self tapping screws with self tapping hex heads of the same diameter and length. Makes them much easier to find out and no change of stripping them. Was a royal PITA to find them all as my installer/builder evidently had his drill gun set to subterranean when they put the trim pieces on. Couldn't find a single one at a glance and had to work through the carpet fibers with a screw driver to listen for metal on metal contact and feel. I used a few words I'm not supposed to that day.
    2023 Targa V-19 Combo
    Mercury 200hp XS XL Four stroke
    Garmin Force TM-36v Ionic Lithium Batteries
    Best Speed to date: 51.2mph
    BEST/WORST: Storage / Compartment moisture

6. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I sometimes rant while working on my automobiles or boats when in those situations that the people that build them that way should have to work on them for FREE