P II front deck size /fishability and what a big improvement Ultrex ipilot have made

After owning a Ranger for years I purchased a used P II a couple of years ago after wanting one for what seemed like forever . My Ranger had a big wide front deck that I was never uncomfortable fishing off of in rough water or heavy boat traffic . With the Basscat the deck fished much smaller due to the trolling motor foot pedal tray being so far forward at the tip of the bow . I consulted a buddy who had owned a P IV about always feeling like if a wave surprised me or I ran into a stump with the trolling motor I was going to fall out over the front due to the lack of room to manuver to regain my balance . He assured me I would get used to it and wouldn't even notice after awhile . The other thing was the bow mounting location for the graph seemed to be at an awkward angle for me virtually standing right over the top of it .
    Perhaps due to my advancing age (recently retired ) I don't seem to have the sea legs I used to and never could quite get used to the front deck though I loved everything else about the boat . After making the upgrade to the Ultrex unit with a Helix graph it has made a night and day difference to fishing comfortably on the front deck . If I am fishing shallow (flat ) water I can still operate the trolling motor from the tip of the bow as designed flipping/pitching or throwing reaction baits . If the water is more choppy or fishing offshore I can use spotlock or another of the ipilot link features allow me the flexibility to move back a little where the deck is wider and no longer have to stay positioned at the tip of the bow to fish .

2. Member
    The Classic, the other BCB rated for 200 hp, got redesigned in 2018 and resolves those issues. I am also no youngster anymore. The front deck is wider and beam is carried forward, And, the foot pedal is moved farther back, with the option of filling in the recess and moving it forward if you wish. I left it in the back position. Offshore I am quite comfortable. I also have an Ultrex. I went from P2 to Classic, and at the bow I feel much more comfortable in the Classic
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    Good info to know. I am considering a P2, and now it sounds like the Ultrex Ipilot is a must have option.