Setup help 20xrd

Got a new 250v8 on my 20rd. What speeds should I see and what setup do I need?

2. Member
    I wish I had the answers for you. I recently went with a 2020 250R on my 20XDC. So far getting out of the hole with a full livewell, full tank of fuel and (2) 190 lb guys has been a challenge. My biggest issue in the beginning was when the motor was set at 1"-1-1/2" above pad it would blow out on break- over (but mid range and top end were good). Lower the motor so it would not blow out on break-over and mid range stayed good but wouldn't turn the rpm on top to run out.

So first thing I did was invest in lithium batteries, helped but didn't solve the blow out issue. Second thing I did was invest in a Bob's hydraulic jack-plate and that solved the blow-out issue on break over. I went with a 14", wishing I would of went with a 10". I think this is causing me to struggle getting on plane still (with the load mentioned above, but note with livewell empty the boat pops out on on plane no issues).

Below are the props I have tried and my results / opinions:
    29 Bravo I Lab - for me this has been the best all around prop. It actually got on plane just fine with full fuel, full livewell and 2 guys. Ran out 89-90 mph @6300.(I think a lab prop is part of the key)
    30 Bravo I (Non lab) - was sluggish out of the hole loaded as mentioned above, and empty was so-so on take off. Ran out 91-92 @6300.
    27 Hydramotive (off my old engine 250 Sport XS) - Not enough prop, bow went straight up on take off and dug a BIG hole and had to climb out and it took a while because too much slip.

Right now I'm trying a 32 pitch Max5, and so far I'm impressed. Figured it was too much prop but it actually allows for minimum bow rise and breaks over on plane very well. Only issue is when I fill the live well its very slow to plane (thats where I think the 10" jack plate would have been better than the 14"). Thinking maybe trying some wedges to tuck the motor a bit more.

I should also mention, I had the motor flashed to 325hp. I ran the boat for 10 hours before it was flashed and after the flash I notice a decent increase in performance.

I don't want to discourage you, if you find the silver bullet please let me know. Right now there just isn't enough data on guys running the v8's on 20'ers. Lots of 21'ers with 300R's.

If I had to summarize what I've learned is:
    **Setting up v8's compared to the 2 strokes.....nothing is the same, forget everything I ever knew about setting up a boat because the laws of physics are completely different.
    **Hydraulic jack-plate solved my blow-out issue on break over. Once on plane I'm running it up to ~1-3/4" above pad and it seems to really like it there. (but I have not ran it out the back door yet so actual top end is not known yet)
    **I would start with a prop that should be waaay too much pitch and work back from there rather than a prop that is too small.

I apologize for all the mixed info, but I guess to answer your question, I've been trying to get mine set up for about 4 months and haven't found the best set up yet, but I think I'm getting close with the 32 Max5.

On a positive note, I used to run a modified Merc 280 before the 250 Sport and the V8 (on the same boat). My honest opinion is, this v8 would kick my 280's butt and hand it back to it, just have to figure out the right set up, but the potential is there. I could run my old 280 to 103 mph at 7900 rpm (super light), and hole shot was still absolutely HORRIBLE, so maybe I'm expecting too much from the v8 on low end....
    Last edited by sowenssw; 09-18-2020 at 11:26 AM.

3. Member
    Thanks for the info. I kinda figured there just wasn’t enough of them out there yet.