Fish Finder Installation and Battery

I have a 4th battery that only has cigarette lighter outlets hooked up to it. Recently I decided to install my new fish finder to this battery since there were no other loads pulling on it (cigarett lighter outlets empty). Plugged in fished finder then powered it on to be sure it worked. I then disconnected power wire from the fish finder unit and took it inside the house (theft prevention lol).

I go back to my battery a few days later and test the voltage with a light up indicator thingy and the battery is completely drained! Could messing with all of the other wires connected to this battery and then reconnecting them all have somehow drained the battery? Could the power wires alone be pulling load without being hooked up to the actual "monitor"?

I will charge the battery and see if it holds, but just curious if anyone else has experienced this. TIA

2. Member
    If I'm understanding, you put the depth finder on an accessory plug to plug into the sockets. If that is the case, then unplugging the the load should not cause a load on the battery to drain it. I would charge the battery, then test the battery after it has set for 24hrs with a voltmeter.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    If I'm understanding, you put the depth finder on an accessory plug to plug into the sockets. If that is the case, then unplugging the the load should not cause a load on the battery to drain it. I would charge the battery, then test the battery after it has set for 24hrs with a voltmeter.
    John
    Picking up a voltmeter today and plan to do just what you have advised. Thanks!

EDIT: Jonestrollingmotor -> I hooked fish finder power wire straight up to the terminals on the battery, not hooked into the 12v sockets. However, I did not leave the actual fish finder monitor hooked up. I disconnected the monitor and brought inside.
    Last edited by Bigharryonion; 09-18-2020 at 08:40 AM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigharryonion View Post
    Picking up a voltmeter today and plan to do just what you have advised. Thanks!

EDIT: Jonestrollingmotor -> I hooked fish finder power wire straight up to the terminals on the battery, not hooked into the 12v sockets. However, I did not leave the actual fish finder monitor hooked up. I disconnected the monitor and brought inside.
    With the unit disconnected, it should not have caused a drain. I suspect a battery issue.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jones JTM View Post
    With the unit disconnected, it should not have caused a drain. I suspect a battery issue.
    @John Jones JTM -> I have now decided to just take it up to autozone and have them test it, then make a decision from there to buy a replacement or not....I'll know for sure then.